The average human contains 10 times as many bacteria as their own cells, but the bacteria weighs only 1 Kg.

Poll: Which name?
This poll is closed.
Myosin
8.33%
1 8.33%
Amylase
8.33%
1 8.33%
Lysine
41.67%
5 41.67%
Glycine
16.67%
2 16.67%
Valine
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

OC voting part 3 of 3: The name
This one is a day late, as I was trying to see what other suitable names I could add to the tiny list of choices we have. Anyway, here are the names:

Myosin (my-oh-sin)
Amylase (am-ee-lays)
Lysine (ly-seen)
Glycine (gly-seen)
Valine (val-een)

To keep the voting deadlines the same for each part, this vote will only have 6 days, instead of the usual 7.

Feel free to suggest other names.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
I dunno. Straight-up protein names are a bit too...Well, would you consider names like Apple or Hamburger to be good? Not really keen on these.

Names that hint at proteins or other chemical compounds would be better, like Saleen/Seline (Saline).

If I had to vote for one of the above though, I'd go for Valine. But I'll hold off voting for now.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601868&t=212997&b=luna2]
If others agree, even though saline is just a sodium chloride solution, I'll put it up.

Quote:Straight-up protein names are a bit too...Well, would you consider names like Apple or Hamburger to be good?

I think the difference here is that apple and hamburger are too common, which makes them sound awkward. A scientific-ish name should sound fine on its own, because it's not a common word. IMO, anyway. Would be interesting to have more input on this from others.
(2013-03-31, 04:24:15 AM)hiigaran Wrote:
Quote:Straight-up protein names are a bit too...Well, would you consider names like Apple or Hamburger to be good?

I think the difference here is that apple and hamburger are too common, which makes them sound awkward. A scientific-ish name should sound fine on its own, because it's not a common word. IMO, anyway. Would be interesting to have more input on this from others.

Although I do see a good point in what ShadowOfDeath said, I have to agree with Hiigaran. I favor straight up protein names for two reasons:
1. There's little chance of misinterpretation. (for example, the name Saleen [for Saline] immediately points my brain to the Saleen car company, not the protein)
2. Sure direct protein names are slightly vanilla, but I doubt there are that many other OCs with names like Lysine or Valine
[Image: sigimage.php?u=617410&t=212997&b=rarity2]
Yeah, I think these name options are fine. There's a lot of ponies with names that are far more commonly known as just words, the options in the poll (or, at the very least, the winning one) is a fine name.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
If I have my rough maths sorted out correctly, these polls should be ending in about 4 hours, give or take (and this third poll started at a different hour).

SOON