The average human brain has about 100 billion neurons. Each neuron averages 7000 synaptic connections to other neurons.

BOINC Milestones
Not sure how much trust I'd put into used cards that have been running full load in who knows what kind of temperatures and conditions though.
[Image: sigimage.php?EWUser=hiigaran&Image=changeling1]
[Image: tiwake_boinc_points.png]

top 1% now with rosetta@home

Does anyone know over what time frame average credit is averaged over? I know once you stop average credit score has a half-life, but I can't seem to find how long it will take for average credit to normalize.
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

(2018-02-19, 01:37:11 AM)tiwake Wrote: top 1% now with rosetta@home

Does anyone know over what time frame average credit is averaged over? I know once you stop average credit score has a half-life, but I can't seem to find how long it will take for average credit to normalize.

[Image: wASq7JR.jpg]

I believe it was in fact seven days.  My Ryzen 1800x went up a little over 1000 points a day until it maxed out at around 9800 RAC.   Twilightsmile

I have a 1950x coming that will be used solely for Rosetta.  It should work beautifully.  How much RAM would you put as a minimum in a threadripper build like that?  That PC won't be used for anything else.  With the 1800x, 8 cores and 16 threads, I use up to 10GB of memory out of my 16GB total.  I'm thinking maybe 32GB.

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
Also, if you are using a 1700X at full tilt 24/7, I would guess it would come out around 9000 RAC when it levels off.

(2018-02-19, 08:07:27 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: How much RAM would you put as a minimum in a threadripper build like that? That PC won't be used for anything else.

well, one of my rosetta processes is 745mb... but epyc is 4 channel... I'd load it up with 4 single rank memory things and try to get the memory overclocked a bunch. Are you going to run linux?

(2018-02-20, 12:11:00 PM)tiwake Wrote:
(2018-02-19, 08:07:27 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: How much RAM would you put as a minimum in a threadripper build like that?  That PC won't be used for anything else.

well, one of my rosetta processes is 745mb... but epyc is 4 channel... I'd load it up with 4 single rank memory things and try to get the memory overclocked a bunch. Are you going to run linux?

Oh my, I suck at Linux.  I was raised on Windows since '95.  I tried linux twice and gave up.  More of a hardware guy.

(2018-02-20, 12:55:58 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: Oh my, I suck at Linux.  I was raised on Windows since '95.  I tried linux twice and gave up.  More of a hardware guy.

You should honestly try it. Much easier these days, and because thread scheduling and general IO operations are superior in every way, linux will net you quite a few more points.

I'd recommend it as well. This is despite the number of times of cried in a corner or screamed at the computer for not doing what I wanted it to do!
(2018-02-20, 09:24:58 PM)hiigaran Wrote: I'd recommend it as well. This is despite the number of times of cried in a corner or screamed at the computer for not doing what I wanted it to do!

You young, hip folks can change an OS more easily than me (I'm 30)  Rainbowwild

I get pissed off easily, and linux doesn't help.  I just wish Windows didn't hinder performance.  I also wish there wasn't a limit of 7 GPUs in a system.  What's up with that?  I get mixed answers about max GPUs in a linux system.  

I just figured I'd build a few new systems while the GPU market simmers down.  I want my two Xeon builds, my Ryzen build and the threadripper build going.  Then when prices go down, buy about 15 GTX 1080s on ebay.  Then I should be set for folding and BOINC.  2017 was a wacky year for PC building.

You could just let tiwake SSH into your system and set things up for you instead...
(2018-02-20, 10:48:11 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote:
(2018-02-20, 09:24:58 PM)hiigaran Wrote: I'd recommend it as well. This is despite the number of times of cried in a corner or screamed at the computer for not doing what I wanted it to do!

You young, hip folks can change an OS more easily than me (I'm 30)  Rainbowwild

I get pissed off easily, and linux doesn't help.  I just wish Windows didn't hinder performance.  I also wish there wasn't a limit of 7 GPUs in a system.  What's up with that?  I get mixed answers about max GPUs in a linux system.  

I just figured I'd build a few new systems while the GPU market simmers down.  I want my two Xeon builds, my Ryzen build and the threadripper build going.  Then when prices go down, buy about 15 GTX 1080s on ebay.  Then I should be set for folding and BOINC.  2017 was a wacky year for PC building.

I'm older than you are.

Also don't listen to hiigaran, he only had issues because of nvidia, and partly because he was trying to run the nvidia drivers without installing a display manager which is a hard requirement for the nvidia drivers because nvidia is a terrible company. It looks like once the 4.17 linux kernel comes out AMD will have proper headless OpenCL (ROCm) drivers for... I think polaris? Whatever family the 480 and 580 are.

I can't wait for the day when GPU prices fall under... cheap used GPUs for everyone \o/ Also, get epyc, cheaper and faster than xeon.

I just came across this, might be helpful... https://access.redhat.com/articles/rhel-limits

And even with a display manager, there were issues I could never solve!

Current kernel is 4.15, right? I don't suppose those headless benefits would work for nvidia as well, huh?
(2018-02-19, 01:37:11 AM)tiwake Wrote: Does anyone know over what time frame average credit is averaged over? I know once you stop average credit score has a half-life, but I can't seem to find how long it will take for average credit to normalize.

So, weeks later, the RAC keeps going up slowly.  Right now, it's going up about another 100 per day.  So I'm not totally sure how long it takes to finish rising.  My output hasn't changed at all, all computers running at 100% and 24/7.  My RAC went up to 25,000 fairly fast, but then went very slow to the current 34,000.  It's like charging lithium batteries; the first 80% is faster than the final 20%  Twilightsmile

(2018-03-21, 08:12:35 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: So, weeks later, the RAC keeps going up slowly.  Right now, it's going up about another 100 per day.  So I'm not totally sure how long it takes to finish rising.  My output hasn't changed at all, all computers running at 100% and 24/7.  My RAC went up to 25,000 fairly fast, but then went very slow to the current 34,000.  It's like charging lithium batteries; the first 80% is faster than the final 20%  Twilightsmile

And now its tanking really hard, and not getting work units half the time. I suspect because they realized they had issues with their code that would make work units crash. One would think that such things would be tested a lot more before making it live though. Enh, not my problem.

(2018-03-31, 11:50:33 PM)tiwake Wrote:
(2018-03-21, 08:12:35 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: So, weeks later, the RAC keeps going up slowly.  Right now, it's going up about another 100 per day.  So I'm not totally sure how long it takes to finish rising.  My output hasn't changed at all, all computers running at 100% and 24/7.  My RAC went up to 25,000 fairly fast, but then went very slow to the current 34,000.  It's like charging lithium batteries; the first 80% is faster than the final 20%  Twilightsmile

And now its tanking really hard, and not getting work units half the time. I suspect because they realized they had issues with their code that would make work units crash. One would think that such things would be tested a lot more before making it live though. Enh, not my problem.

i don't think I got any work from it for about three or four days straight.  It has been running fine now for a day or two.  I have set it to download extra work to be safe.  I don't think it affects points like folding, where every second counts.

SOON