Low-level API such as Vulkan?
So I've been thinking... is it possible for F@H to be done on something like Vulkan (preferably) or DX12? It seems like it would dramatically improve GPU performance. Just an open discussion thread, you think it's feasible? Benefits?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=730376&t=212997&b=celestia1]
[Image: sigimage.php?u=515661&t=50711&b=twilight3]
I could be completely wrong here, but I'm pretty sure folding uses compute specific APIs like Cuda and OpenCL, unlike games which use graphics APIs like OpenGL, DirectX and Vulkan. There's really very little comparison because they're made for separate tasks and purposes. I also thought that betters APIs allow for better utilisation of resources, but if the GPU or CPU is already at 100% there can't be much more performance to squeeze out.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=715231&t=212997&b=vinylscratch1]
(2017-04-21, 07:37:36 PM)for Deltalizer Wrote: I could be completely wrong here, but I'm pretty sure folding uses compute specific APIs like Cuda and OpenCL, unlike games which use graphics APIs like OpenGL, DirectX and Vulkan. There's really very little comparison because they're made for separate tasks and purposes. I also thought that betters APIs allow for better utilisation of resources, but if the GPU or CPU is already at 100% there can't be much more performance to squeeze out.

Hmm seems like you're right. OpenCL is a computational API I just realized. I only thought of vulkan because of that visualizer. 

And oh, what a low level API does is not exactly "squeeze" out performance. When done correctly, you can get better performance even at 100% load with regular APIs. It lowers overhead so software can take more control over hardware. And basically then allow the CPU to give the GPU more instructions. And allows the GPU to execute more efficiently.
Vulkan is just an API with drivers behind it to allow the API to function (a runtime, headers for compiling, etc.) Same is the case for OpenCL, CUDA, OpenGL, DirectX[...,9,10,11,12], and probably a few others, but those are the main ones.
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

(2017-04-22, 09:47:11 AM)tiwake Wrote: Vulkan is just an API with drivers behind it to allow the API to function (a runtime, headers for compiling, etc.) Same is the case for OpenCL, CUDA, OpenGL, DirectX[...,9,10,11,12], and probably a few others, but those are the main ones.

Yeah, I realized. But, I hope something like a low overhead OpenCL gets made because that would be awesome.

SOON