The density of a neutron star is so high that a spoonful of matter from one's center is estimated to be around one trillion kilos.

[Project] WiGLE WiFi Mapping
WiGLE (Wireless imaging Geographic Lookup Engine) is a wireless network location and information consolidator, gathering crucial aspects of detectable WiFi and uploading them to a central database. This is achieved through volunteers running the WiGLE app on their portable devices, which will then scan your surroundings based on user-defined intervals.

When a wireless network is scanned, information is gathered about it, such as its name (SSID), MAC address, type of wireless network (eg, WiFi or cellular), security capabilities, and its location. Through multiple observations from scans, the app can get an accurate location of the wireless network's origin through triangulation, using the signal strength at the time of each specific observation.

Since 2001, WiGLE has used its results to educate the public and pressure manufacturers to standardise more effective security protocols, such as the current WPA2, as opposed to the weaker WEP that was known to be easily defeated and overcome. The data gathered and made public by WiGLE is also used to aid research projects, site surveys, and journalism. For many, WiGLE has also become a handy tool to determine where is the best place to pick up free wifi for themselves.

Now, why am I bothering to make a general thread for this project? Why, there are teams, of course! And where there is a team for a project that contributes to knowledge or data, we must be found!

Here's how to get started:

1: Download the app for your device
2: Create an account for yourself. Make sure you put your account information into the app as well, in the settings.
3: Visit this page and do a Ctrl+F search for Brony@Home, then click the Join button.

As far as I'm aware, there's still no iOS compatibility unless jailbroken, so for now, Android devices, or devices capable of running standalone Java applications are the only ones that will work. Also, keep in mind that this uses your WiFi and GPS devices, scanning with them at regular intervals. Therefore they will draw more power from your battery. You can adjust how frequently scans are made in your settings, to reduce power consumption, at the cost of missing some wireless networks as you move around.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
I have joined.  Are you the one who has to accept members to the group?

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
Oh nice, WiGLE. I've run this before. Actually I ran it back in 2009 before I had a smartphone, so I had to connect a GPS to a laptop and run special software to correlate the location with the networks. And I've run it a few times since then, but not regularly. I'll run it a bit while driving around town and see how many networks I can find.
(2016-12-18, 09:51:27 AM)PoNyePiC Wrote: I have joined.  Are you the one who has to accept members to the group?

No need. It automatically accepts all who join.
(2016-12-18, 12:16:44 PM)hiigaran Wrote:
(2016-12-18, 09:51:27 AM)PoNyePiC Wrote: I have joined.  Are you the one who has to accept members to the group?

No need. It automatically accepts all who join.

About how long have you been doing this project?

We've already moved up several positions in a day  Twilightsmile

[Image: cPHQSCt.jpg]

I had a hell of a time getting mine to work.  It kept asking for Location permissions over and over, and also saying that I needed to disable Screen Overlay, which I did several times.  But it wouldn't save my choice.  So if anypony runs into these issues, try disabling Developer Options in the Android settings.  Works perfectly now Yay

I'll give it go. It immediately started making announcements every minute, so I've shut off all the voice functions - hopefully they're not necessary.

There's a button to upload results - does that mean you have to upload them manually? How often should they be uploaded?
(2016-12-18, 04:05:47 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote:
(2016-12-18, 12:16:44 PM)hiigaran Wrote: No need. It automatically accepts all who join.

About how long have you been doing this project?

Not sure, actually. I'd guess about a year.

(2016-12-19, 01:23:05 AM)RoBorg Wrote: I'll give it go. It immediately started making announcements every minute, so I've shut off all the voice functions - hopefully they're not necessary.

There's a button to upload results - does that mean you have to upload them manually? How often should they be uploaded?

Yeah, you need to upload manually, but you can do it whenever you like. I usually just upload whenever possible, and I'm on free wifi. Even if you accidentally close the app and lose all the newly discovered networks, they still remain in the database on your device, so you can upload once you open the app again. It won't show new networks in your new run, but whatever you've discovered will still stay.
Moved up to #190 from #206 in one day.  We shall make the top 50 by years end  Twilightsmile

We made it to 189!

I got a few on my shopping trip today. Pulled ahead of Roborg at least!  Rainbowwild
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
(2016-12-19, 04:54:44 PM)Ruthalas Wrote: We made it to 189!

I got a few on my shopping trip today. Pulled ahead of Roborg at least!  Rainbowwild

Oh did you now? *Presses Upload button*
I do feel like I'm cheating at this Twilightblush  I drive 300km a day.  Half of which is in areas that have no logged networks.

This sounds fun! Count me in! I gotta try and be better than you all at something!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2793449&p=81403693&u=6281...b=octavia1][Image: sigimage.php?e=pinormous&b=vinylscratch1]
(2016-12-19, 10:55:16 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: I do feel like I'm cheating at this Twilightblush  I drive 300km a day.  Half of which is in areas that have no logged networks.

That's cute...

[Image: Yv2vjtR.jpg]
(2016-12-20, 03:50:18 AM)hiigaran Wrote:
(2016-12-19, 10:55:16 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: I do feel like I'm cheating at this Twilightblush  I drive 300km a day.  Half of which is in areas that have no logged networks.

That's cute...

I just got the most awesomest plan.  I will mail one of my devices across the country and have them mail it back.  I have a spare tablet with a large USB battery backup that I can ship snailmail for $10.  It's my most evil plan yet Pinkiecrazy

SOON