The human heart can generate enough pressure to squirt blood 9 meters away.

davidfg4's super sekrit guide to getting tons of points
As the F@H highest scoring member of our team, I feel like I have the authority to share my guaranteed plan of success.

(Warning, this post is a joke. Don't take it too seriously.)

Ok, here we go, it is entirely consisting of two steps:

Step 1: Start folding.
Step 2: Don't stop folding.

Ok this might actually be a bit complicated, let's break it down.

Step 1 is usually fairly easy. Most people already own a capable computer and can get the client running in 15 minutes. Adding capacity may take a few days of buying hardware and setting it up.

Step 2. Ok this is the tricky one. This is the step that separates children from men, and if done correctly will cause you to rise higher and higher on the scoreboard. Many people fail this step after a few months. I know, it's hard. If you fail at this step, just go back to step 1 and try again.

As a perfect example of what not to do, let's look at hiig. It took him over two years from beginning of planning to even buying hardware and firing it up. Then after a mere 21 hours of folding, he turned his rig off:
[Image: a349a9a62b1eccb03e88dc82dd635be6.png]

Hiig, I'm a bit concerned about your plan of attack, which is specifically why I'm sharing this plan. Sure I know I'll get trounced on the scoreboard in a few months, but in order for you to do that you may need to follow my (not anymore) secret recipe for success.
(2016-12-17, 04:22:45 PM)davidfg4 Wrote: As the F@H highest scoring member of our team, I feel like I have the authority to share my guaranteed plan of success.

With his BS computer (Beast Slayer  Twilightblush) Hig will be overtaking us in only a mere year or so  Rainbowwild

So long as he succeeds at Step 2 above...

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
It was discovered that BS cured cancer. We can all go home. I'll shut the B@H servers down and sell everyone's account information to pay for the hardware.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2016-12-17, 07:32:26 PM)hiigaran Wrote: It was discovered that BS cured cancer. We can all go home. I'll shut the B@H servers down and sell everyone's account information to pay for the hardware.

Well you did make more points in one day than I could've made from 2001 to 2010 combined.  If points represent the amount of science being done, then that is some exponential sciencing.   Yay

Oh man I wish I knew this before I accidentally quit folding a number of months ago. This really changed my life and I pledge to actually work your step #2

Though your elaborated first step has a bit of false information... it took me a little over an hour to figure out how to correctly install folding@home. Though this is because of a bug in the installer that does not download GPUs.txt and allow my videocard to fold at all. I ended up getting a copy from locodashie11 and dropped the file in the correct place myself. There was also a not-bug with Ubuntu and one of the dependencies for folding@home.

It would have been 15min for step #1... in a perfect world... but the world is not perfect. Now I'm calling into question the validity of your second step. Do you have a source to verify your claims?
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

So, I tried the plan and it seemed to be working OK until a few days ago.
I'm on holiday so my PC is just sitting at home, folding away - I haven't remoted in or anything. Who's stealing my points? D:

[Image: UiOBvdD.png]
(2016-12-25, 11:26:38 PM)RoBorg Wrote: So, I tried the plan and it seemed to be working OK until a few days ago.
I'm on holiday so my PC is just sitting at home, folding away - I haven't remoted in or anything. Who's stealing my points? D:

The dip on the 22nd was partially due to extremeoverclocking not getting stats, but you should have made up the difference on the 23rd if you rig was running 100% the whole time.
Yeah I've not touched it so it's still run it. It's got two gfx cards so I wonder if one slot had failed and not been restarted :s

I will be home in a few days so I will see what's up with it then... Bit frustrating... This is supposed to be prime folding time.
Well I'm home and yes, one of the slots had crashed :( Everything restarted ok, so back to full power on this machine now. When I'm back in the office I'll have a look at getting that machine on F@H too, although previously it crashed after a very short amount of time - don't know why as it's a pretty new machine and I've not done any OCing (can't remember if there's a factory overclock on it).

Edit: Also we've just moved up into 33rd - well done everyone :D
(2016-12-30, 07:21:11 AM)RoBorg Wrote: Well I'm home and yes, one of the slots had crashed :( Everything restarted ok, so back to full power on this machine now. When I'm back in the office I'll have a look at getting that machine on F@H too, although previously it crashed after a very short amount of time - don't know why as it's a pretty new machine and I've not done any OCing (can't remember if there's a factory overclock on it).

Edit: Also we've just moved up into 33rd - well done everyone :D

In the past, I used the windows scheduler to restart a computer every 24 hours automatically when I wasn't home. Of course, make sure folding starts automatically.  You would only lose two or three minutes of folding Twilightsmile

That's not a bad idea, but my machine needs logging on so I can't really do that :(

Next time I go away I'll set up TeamViewer or something. I still don't know what I'd do if the machine rebooted itself though. I disabled Windows Update before I left, but if there had been a power cut I'd have been screwed (even though it would start up, it wouldn't log on). I need to do some testing with Remote Desktop - I know F@H can't access the GPUs while Remote Desktop is active, but what about when you exit? Maybe I'll make a new thread for that, as I'm sure it would be useful for someone.
I've found that one one of my folding rigs if I RDP in and out it crashes the F@H core completely, I loose the WU entirely and I have to pause and restart the client to get things running again.

Funnily enough, it's the only host I have that's using the internal graphics for everything other than folding and just happens to have a discrete GPU in one of the PCIE lanes.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=652873&t=212997&b=twilight2]
(2016-12-17, 04:22:45 PM)davidfg4 Wrote: As the F@H highest scoring member of our team, I feel like I have the authority to share my guaranteed plan of success.

You've got 1.3 months...

I'M COMING TO CLAIM MY RIGHTFUL THRONE!
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]

SOON