The average human brain has about 100 billion neurons. Each neuron averages 7000 synaptic connections to other neurons.

[Project] DIMES
Linux, Windows, or both?
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Windows, but now that I'm starting to understand how the program works I may be able to get the Linux version functioning.
Figure out why I can't run the damn thing as a service in W7 while you're at it!
Maybe... Although I have a bit of a workaround for getting it running in the background on boot, works on all Win 7 computers, I can post up how to get that going tomorrow
Little update.

DIMES' scheduler seems to limit 'tasks' to starting no more than one every 15 seconds, but only allows one task to run at once (i.e. if a task takes 5 seconds to complete it will wait 10 seconds before starting the next one, if it takes 20 seconds the next one will start immediately).

It seems possible to run multiple tasks at once (Removing one of the checks allowed it to do a stats update and keepalive at the same time), so now I need to find where it actually queues up the tasks in a script for execution and make it start a few at a time.
Upon confusing myself with too much Java, I have (stupidly) decided to re-write the DIMES client myself, most likely in python. I'll be happy to accept contributions once I get to that point :3

I've started documenting how the DIMES agent works in an effort to make it much simpler when I start to actually code stuff.

https://github.com/Cameron-D/PyDIMES/wik...-structure
You're a dumbass.

That being said, you might just well be a successful dumbass. Good luck.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
(2013-10-04, 12:27:10 AM)Cameron:D Wrote: Maybe... Although I have a bit of a workaround for getting it running in the background on boot, works on all Win 7 computers, I can post up how to get that going tomorrow

As promised:

Install DIMES, make sure its running properly.

Open Task Scheduler (Just search the start menu for it)

On the right side hit Create Task (not Basic Task)

Name it DIMES (or something just as descriptive)

In the Security options set the user to SYSTEM, set it to run whether or not they are logged in, and check the "Run with highest privileges" option (DIMES requires admin rights to be able to create raw sockets)

[Image: d75Y9GU.png]

In the Triggers tab press New, set the begin to On Startup and make sure the Enabled box is checked.

[Image: HLQNZF9.png]

In the Actions tab hit New, set Action to Start a Program and st the Program to
"C:\Program Files (x86)\DIMES\Agent\Classes\DIMES Agent.exe"

[Image: Udfj2mb.png]

Hit OK to save it and next time you reboot check your running processes for DIMES Agent.exe

[Image: mOI0tk1.png]
I'll give this a whirl later on tonight and let you know how it goes...
So that python client... :)

[Image: leGEBSa.png]
Oh, right, I said I was going to try this. Must have forgotten about it.

Meh, I might as well wait until you're done messing around with the code...
So today I got pings completely working and they mostly return the correct data (It just needs to be serialised as XML). Traceroutes are up next, I was expecting them to be somewhat more difficult, but it turns out that DIMES actually logs alternate paths to a host (if there are any) so I now have /no/ idea how they do that, so I'm probably going to need to dig pretty deeply through the DIMES codebase to find out. I was hoping to rely on scapy for packets so I'm hoping that it is still possible as it will mean a lot less work.

I also tried to push it as far as I could, python seems happy running up to around 1,000 threads at a time and uses about 70mb of RAM :3

Code stuff: https://github.com/Cameron-D/PyDIMES
Is it possible to run now with solely pings, or does the client wait for traceroutes before uploading data?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Right now it can't fetch or return scripts, it can only execute the default/test one. I want to make sure it correctly runs everything before I make it start fetching/returning stuff as I don't want to be returning broken data while working on it.
(2013-02-08, 06:28:57 AM)Sellyme Wrote: Step 5.) Double-check your registration on the team page, you should show up immediately.

It's been about 2 hours and nothing. Still running.
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]

SOON