Humans share 99% of their DNA with one another, 99.5% with their parents, 98% with chimpanzees, and about 45% with cabbage.

[Project] DIMES
DIMES (or Dimes) is a project that maps the internet using pings and tracerts. As such it uses no CPU or GPU, and very little bandwidth (about 1-2MB/day). That means that unless you're running on 128MB RAM, running Dimes will have absolutely no impact on your computer's performance what-so-ever, under any circumstances! So there's really no reason not to do it.

Sellyme's patented 5 step guide
Step 1.) Make sure you have an up-to-date JRE.
Step 2.) Download the newest version of Dimes from here
Step 3.) Install it. After the install you will be asked to register.
Step 4.) During the registration process, check "Join team", and in the box, type "Brony@Home" and continue.
Step 5.) Double-check your registration on the team page, you should show up immediately.

As of now (8 February), we're currently 63rd in the world in the world out of 1,677 teams. Unfortunately, I'm somehow responsible for ~59% of our team's total points, so there's clearly a lack of uptake for the project.

How can you get more points, you ask? Well, it's simple! Run Dimes on more computers!

Say you get 1 point per second on an i7-3730K with 24GB of RAM and Google Fibre internet. You'd also get 1 point per second if you installed Dimes on a Pentium 4 with 256MB RAM and dial-up. Even if you installed Dimes on two different computers on the same internet connection, you'd get twice as many points. Hell, you could even theoretically abuse VMs to rake in millions of points if you have the spare RAM.

TL;DR: Dimes uses no resources, so install it on anything with internet you can find.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
I wouldn't say that DIMES uses no resource lol, no program in the world can do that -w-
while((universe&&humans)==true)
{outlook=dim;destruction=+1;humans=humans+shit;}

[Image: sigimage.php?u=632574&t=212997&b=derpy1]
Well, close enough...It's like running the built-in calculator in windows.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2013-03-03, 11:29:39 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Well, close enough...It's like running the built-in calculator in windows.

I made a calculator before. http://puu.sh/2KtMS
I would help with this project but I can't work out how to run it on Linux :(
It tells me it can't find my Java even though its installed ¬¬
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
You should be able to manually set the location of the Java package when trying to install DIMES if it can't find it automatically... Mind you, I haven't installed in on Linux yet.
I've been trying to tell it where to look, but its not exactly clear how you do that.
I've found very little information on the subject Rainbowhuh

This is as far as I can get:
Quote:sudo sh linuxAgent.sh
[sudo] password for sxrxe:
bash ./agent.sh
Verifying JAVA_HOME... JAVA_HOME Enviroment variable is not defined. Please install JDK or define it manually.
make: *** [run] Error 1
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
I assume that that's somewhat similar to the PATH variable. Look up "manually define PATH variable in Linux" and see if you can modify the instructions slightly for JAVA_HOME.

Alternatively, just make sure you have the right JRE, re-download + re-install.
(2013-06-07, 08:02:08 AM)SXRXE Wrote: I've been trying to tell it where to look, but its not exactly clear how you do that.
I've found very little information on the subject Rainbowhuh

This is as far as I can get:
Quote:sudo sh linuxAgent.sh
[sudo] password for sxrxe:
bash ./agent.sh
Verifying JAVA_HOME... JAVA_HOME Enviroment variable is not defined. Please install JDK or define it manually.
make: *** [run] Error 1

So, I tried installing and running it... I ended up having to edit one of the files... I'm using the deb package that was available in the downloads.

/usr/local/DIMES/scripts_linux/agent.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
#Written by Danny Bickson, HUJI
# Revised by Ohad Serfaty , TAU; Boaz Harel, DIMES/TAU (0.5.2)
CURRENT_DIR=$(pwd)
CLASSES_DIR="$CURRENT_DIR/../Classes/"
BASE_DIR="$CURRENT_DIR/../Classes/Base/"

#. colors.sh

# Verify JAVA_HOME :
#echo -n "Verifying JAVA_HOME...   "
#if [ -n "$JAVA_HOME" ]; then
#    echo "Using JAVA_HOME : $JAVA_HOME"
#else
#    echo  " JAVA_HOME Enviroment variable is not defined. Please install JDK or define it manually."
#    exit 1
#fi

#tiwake's notes:
#this is really stupid, I have no idea what JAVA_HOME is, and even after I defined it (export JAVA_HOME=/usr/bin/java)
#it still would not work. so lets just define the variable $JAVA manually...

# verify java executable :
#echo -n "Verifying Java Executable...  "
#JAVA=$JAVA_HOME/bin/java
JAVA=/usr/bin/java
if [ -e $JAVA ]; then
  echo "Using Java Executable at $JAVA"
else
  echo "Cannot find Java executable : $JAVA, script will exit"
  exit 1
fi

#and again, fix it over here...
#check that Java version is at least 1.6
echo -n "Checking Java version......"
#ret=`${JAVA} -version 2>&1 | grep --regexp="1\.[6]"`
ret=`/usr/bin/java -version 2>&1 |grep -c -e '1\.[^1-5]'`
echo $ret
if [ $ret -eq "0"  ]; then
    echo  "Wrong java version. Should be 1.6.* or higher"
    exit 1
fi

# verify display settings :
#echo -n "Checking display settings.."
#if [ -z $DISPLAY ]; then
#    verify 1 "Missing Display settings. "
#    echo "on tsch/csh You should \"setenv DISPLAY <IP_adddress>:0\""  
#    -echo "on bash You should \"export DISPLAY=<IP_adddress>:0\""  
#    exit 1
#else
#    verify 0    
#fi

LOG_PARAM="-Djava.util.logging.config.file=$BASE_DIR\conf\logging.properties"
DIMES_CLASS_PATH="$CLASSES_DIR"
DIMES_JARS_PATH="$CLASSES_DIR/JARs"
PROPERTIES_FILE="$BASE_DIR/conf/properties.xml"
${JAVA} $LOG_PARAM -classpath $DIMES_CLASS_PATH AgentLauncher $DIMES_JARS_PATH $PROPERTIES_FILE  >/dev/null 2>/dev/null &

Alright... no errors... but.. is it doing anything? I know its running, there is an instance of java... at the very least just sitting there collecting dust in RAM. There are no windows or anything that popped up, nothing in the terminal window. Maybe its outputting to a log file somewhere?

This is kind of insane

[edit]
So it seems linux is screwed...
http://www.netdimes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic...096c27a19f
Also, note that the thread is from june 2012, and now in June 2013 I have exactly the same set of errors.
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

What the heck is going on with the user interface; what does it do; how do I do things?
[Image: 616872.png]
#727fb6 and #6c79b0
I have no idea. I just installed it, made sure I was getting points, and then forgot about it. Haven't touched it since.
I can't tell if I'm getting points. How??!!
[Image: 616872.png]
#727fb6 and #6c79b0
Uhm. You wait a month or six for the stats to update and then check.
(2013-06-08, 02:30:49 PM)flaxative Wrote: I can't tell if I'm getting points. How??!!

If you open up your DIMES agent, go to the user statistics screen. Look at your "total measurements number". If it's greater than 0 in any one of the slots, then you're doing work! NOTE: it may take a day or 2 to show up.
Also, if your graph has nodes and lines floating around, that's a telltale sign that you're working!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2793449&p=81403693&u=6281...b=octavia1][Image: sigimage.php?e=pinormous&b=vinylscratch1]
So I spent this evening getting the source code of DIMES compiling and running. In the next few days I should have a custom version *without* the 15 second wait time between measurements, so any single node should get a massive increase in throughput.

The downside is that it may not be super easy to get up and running, but I'll see about that when I get there (Currently I can only run it through Eclipse while debugging).

SOON