The average human brain has about 100 billion neurons. Each neuron averages 7000 synaptic connections to other neurons.

[Worklog] The Beast Slayer
I have begun testing the components, but am running into a snag. I haven't been able to find a burn-in test that will stress all four GPUs at the same time.
Furmark will stress two, if I put them in an SLI configuration.

Running two GPUs at full tilt, as well as the processor (Prime95) yields the following results:
-CPU temp: ~30*C
-GPU temp: ~78*C each
(Ambient temp: ~18*C)

I am using MSI Afterburner to graph and record the temperatures/loads as I test.

My plan tonight is to simply get folding@home going on it and let it go to town (with prime95 for the CPU).
I hadn't done this yet because the test rig wasn't near my router...
Suggestions are welcome for other test methodology- I am just making this up as I go along.
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
*F@H numbers quadruple*
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

Ok fellas. I am in a bind. I need some tech advice.

I made a mistake in testing the parts for you hiig: Because I was missing the power cable for the second PSU I have been running all the GPU tests on a single test bench station.
I tested all the GPU and CPUs and all was well, until today when I realized the second /motherboard/ had never been tested.

And it has an issue. It fails to post with a error code 19 (Debug Doctor Asrock) This indicated the issue is either RAM or CPU
Both CPUs work, and the RAM all tests fine, so what could it be?

We I think I found the issue. The bad motherboard has an old version of the BIOS.
P1.70, vs P3.30 on the new one.

Now I can't post, so I can't update it via a USB stick. Howver... Both boards have two chips, a BIOS_A and a BIOS_B
Can I swap the chips around so the BIOS_A of both boards is the newer revision? (While the BIOS_B is the older revision)

[Image: pu0hzyj.jpg][Image: uluKbjh.jpg]
Ok. So swapping the BIOS chips out works.

Each has revision 3.30 for BIOS_A, and revision 1.70 for BIOS_B (un-used)
Both boards now POST. Whew.

Not ideal, but everything works, and the secondary chips could now be flashed to 3.30.
Nice work, the reason it wouldn't post is because support for the E5-2609 v4 only comes with BIOS P3.20 and later, I posted the relevant ASRock QVL link earlier in the thread.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=652873&t=212997&b=twilight2]
(2016-11-26, 05:46:42 PM)BestPony Wrote: Nice work, the reason it wouldn't post is because support for the E5-2609 v4 only comes with BIOS P3.20 and later, I posted the relevant ASRock QVL link earlier in the thread.

My Asrock x99e needs updated to use the v4 xeons.  I'm looking to upgrade my V3 xeon sometime soon Twilightsmile

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
Be sure to update the older bios chips if possible. that'd be a sure to have one screw up and you can't use the other :P
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

Well, the day has come, and Ruthalas and I spent a considerable time trying to fit all the parts into my bags. So, an oversimplified inventory list:

1: Computer parts
2: My shit

I flew out with an almost empty suitcase. Only had some toiletries, bit of food, and a few bits of padding material. My cabin bag had my laptop, and some things required for my flight, such as uniform items.

All the video cards used by the two dedicated systems managed to fit perfectly in my cabin bag, along with padding foam that was cut out from the original packaging. The suitcase currently holds the majority of the rest, but unfortunately...

The two motherboards and one side of the case for my personal system could not fit at all. My current plan is to either ask one of my colleagues to put the parts in their bags, or I just carry it separately, the latter of which I'm not technically supposed to do while in uniform, because it is deemed 'unprofessional'.

The suitcase is pretty heavy as well. I would guess about 30 kilos. The good news is that it is too heavy for anyone to throw around. The hardware is pretty tightly packed in there, along with padding. I'm mostly concerned about the monitor surviving, since LCDs are rather delicate. However, we positioned it in a way that nothing is in contact with the screen, and padded it so that hopefully it won't move to a position where it might damage itself in transit.

That said, the biggest risk at the moment is if TSA opens the case up and tries removing anything. Since it is so densely packed, and they are not known for their finesse, I fear that they might remove something, and be unable to put it back. Or put it back incorrectly, resulting in damage. Though I've emailed TSA and asked if it is possible to be present. They said it is possible, but it doesn't put my mind at ease.

Assuming the suitcase makes it back to Dubai in one piece, I'll need to find the strength to lift the heavy bag into the crew bus, which is about a meter and a half above ground, and then hope for the best when I get back home that nothing broke.

If there has ever been a time I've been more nervous, I can't recall it.

I suppose if it's any consolation, if a few things do break, things will still come out cheaper than if I had purchased them in Dubai. Hopefully I will have at least two out of three systems fully functional, and if things are broken, hopefully it's not two of the same thing, like both PSUs failing, or both motherboards not working. Basically I'd rather different hardware to arrive broken, so that I can at least get one or two systems running.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Good luck hiigaran, hopefully everything makes it in one piece. If you're quick getting it set up then we should be able to avoid getting overtaken by Reddit PCMR in two weeks' time.

Edit: Forgot to mention, remember not to use 375.xx drivers from NVidia!! They are known to be faulty.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=652873&t=212997&b=twilight2]
[Image: good_luck_from_derpy_by_cartoon_eric-d67zc1p.png]
Managed to fit the other side of the case in the suitcase, and I found space in both bags for the rest of my things. Was able to substitute some of the foam padding for clothing.

Just counting down the hours and minutes until my departure now.

Man, this suitcase is HEAVY. I'm now concerned for the structural integrity of the suitcase's handle.
I think he is on the flight now. Fingers Hooves crossed!  Twilightoops
The Beast [Slayer] will Rise
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2793449&p=81403693&u=6281...b=octavia1][Image: sigimage.php?e=pinormous&b=vinylscratch1]
Righty, everything has arrived on the Dubai end. It doesn't stop here though.

Since everyone gets screened upon arrival, there's not that many ways to get around the inevitable import duty, which is 5% of the item value, so naturally, I had to declare what I had. Now, my hardware at this point was in one of three places. 9 out of 10 video cards were in my cabin bag. My personal rig, which was already fully assembled with the tenth video card, along with almost everything else, was in my suitcase (which weighed about 35 kilos). As I had no space, the two X99 motherboards (with CPU and RAM already in them) were in the Captain's bag, as he offered to keep it safe.

Because rules don't apply to pilots, the Captain managed to get past customs, and the plan was originally to wait until I finished with customs, and then give me the parts afterwards. What neither of us counted on was that it would take 1.5 hours before I would leave customs. So he went home, and now I need to organise a meet to pick up the parts at some point in the future.

As for me, I was taken aside into the customs office. The parts that I was allowed to take home with me were the monitor, the two PSUs and all cables, the two heatsinks for the X99 motherboards, and the keyboard and mouse. The assembled personal rig and all video cards however, had to be held by customs. The first reason is to determine their value. I needed to provide a receipt, or invoice of some kind to prove their value, which I did not have on me at the time. They also needed to keep the rig because all the drives were mounted in the case, and they needed to determine if there was anything illegal on the drives. So these were all packed up in a box, and would be sent to some media division of the government for screening. The process should take three working days, after which I can come pick them up and pay for the duty, which I estimate would be 300 to 400 USD. Sounds like a lot, but it's still cheaper than buying locally, by a huge amount.

However, I have another flight at that time, so the earliest I can pick the parts up would be in about five days.

So close, yet so far!

In the meantime, I've tested what I've got so far. Both PSUs survived, and can turn on. My PSU tester reports normal and stable voltages for both units. Of course, this is only at idle, but it's still a good sign. The monitor works as well. While I haven't tested it with a video input, there are no dead pixels, or any signs of damage from punctures or blunt impacts. Mouse and keyboard are both functional. The keyboard is supposed to have LED lighting that doesn't seem to turn on, but this could be for numerous reasons. I tested it on my laptop with an outdated USB interface, for one. It might also only work when running Windows, and this laptop runs Lubuntu.

So I guess now we just have to wait for the last few parts to clear. Would it be ironic if something breaks at this point, instead of during the risky transportation from the US?
So close to victory! I have my fingers crossed on your behalf as far as gentle handling at customs.

SOON