Giant squids and colossal squids can have axons as long as 12 meters each and are among the longest single cells in the world.

A VR Capable Build
Haven't been on this site in a while, since I stopped folding and whatnot ages ago.  Still, I thought I'd post to get some feedback since I don't know everything about computer hardware and all.

I plan on picking up a second GTX 1080 later on down the line when they're cheaper (Around the time the 1080ti comes out) to add another year or two the build's life down the road.

This rig is, as the title points out, intended to run VR (and also 4K, if I ever get a 4K display), as well as being a gaming build in general.  So it's going to be expensive even before I get an Oculus Rift to go with it.

GPU: GTX 1080 - MSI Twin Frozr

- MSI makes good dual fan GPUs and I've heard good things about this gen. This isn't their highest-end, but I don't really want to have bulky watercooling contraptions on my GPU, not when I plan to get 2 of them.

CPU: Broadwell-e 6850k
Mobo: Asus X99-A
  Bundle Deal - Saves ~$26

- The CPU is pricy, but it's a good balance between clock rate and the number of cores, since I do some video encoding on the side.  Plus, apparently some games that use voxels instead of pixels (like No Man's Sky) use CPU power on top of GPU power to render, as compared to GPU-only rendering.  Also, since I'll be having this computer for at least 3 years, probably more, it's as likely as not we'll see more games released that leverage multiple CPU cores in that time.  The Mobo is also suitable with 2 USB 3.1 slots, 4 3.0, and 4 2.0.  Should be sufficient, and Asus is a good brand.  My current (old) rig uses and Asus Sabretooth X58 actually.  Oh, and to have 2x16 PCI-E slots running (the 2 GPUs) I need one of the models below the cheapest anyway, as that one is limited to 24 lanes I think.

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master 212

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5

- Just a standard option to go with.

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo Series MZ-75E500B/AM 500GB x2

- One for C drive, one for Games and programs I use the most, or would benefit the most from being on a SSD (like Photoshop).

HDDs:

4TB Programs/Games Drive - Western Digital 4TB 7200rpm Black

- Games are only getting bigger, and so it makes sense to splurge a bit on this.  From what I hear, the Black line of WD HDDs are very reliable besides.

6TB Media/Recording Drive - Western Digital 6TB 7200rpm Black

- After the mess that I had with Seagate on my current (old) rig, I'm going to go with Western Digital this time around, I think.  HDDs are just for media space more than anything.  The 6TB 7200 HDD is mainly for storing media and recording video.  I'll need that extra storage for 3D and 4K video downloads.

RAM: G-Skill 2x8GB (16GB) 3200MHz

- 16GB will be plenty for now.  I have room on the mobo for another 6 slots, though I'd likely only get a second kit of 2x8GB for a total of 32GB if I really needed it, which I doubt.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4

- Case is mostly because of good reviews, decent price (though the price is a sale price ATM), and Tom's Hardware had recommended the Design S version in 2015 it seems.

PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750w 80+ Gold

- Excessive for the time being, but on top of probably being more quiet due to its efficiency, I could use the overhead towards the second 1080 later on down the line, with wattage to spare.  I heard 750+W for 2 GTX 1080s in SLI as it was, so with the 80+ Gold certification, it should be more than sufficient.

Disc Drive: LG 16x BD Reader/Writer

Headset: Logitec G933 7.1 Wireless

- Getting these for a couple reasons.  My current surround sound headphones have long since had a glitch where they'd sometimes start squealing until I turned them on and off again.  I also could use a wireless headset once I start using the Vive's Roomscale VR.

Mouse: Corsair Gaming Sabre RGB Gaming Mouse

- Seems like a good replacement for my Razer Lachesis.

I'll be keeping my Logitech G510 Gaming Keyboard, I think.  It's well worn, but the LCD display can prove useful, and there doesn't really seem to be a good replacement, at least not on NCIX.  I might grab a mechanical keyboard in future, to give it a shot.

Anyway, that should be just about it, I think.  The final price (before taxes and the ~$50 NCIX assembly and Testing) sits at $4,334.70

That's pretty high, higher than I was expecting or intending >_<  It's not even accounting for the Oculus Rift Still, it's not like I can't afford it.  With taxes and assembly, it will be more like $4700 I think.

I'm fairly flexible with the hardware in general, and am willing to go a bit higher if there is a good reason.  Also, since I'm not ordering it right off the bat (though I will order some time in the next week or so, I expect, if not this very weekend), the prices and availability will be subject to change, naturally.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601868&t=212997&b=luna2]
Looks really good! I actually have the same case and I think it's pretty nice.

If I was you I'd ditch the second SSD (unless you install *loads* of games) and go for 32GB RAM instead.

I have a 2x 980 ti's (though more for folding than anything else) and my Vive runs flawlessly (except for some (driver?) issue that means I have to reboot every so often) - your PC is going to be awesome for VR.
(2016-08-12, 05:34:00 AM)RoBorg Wrote: Looks really good! I actually have the same case and I think it's pretty nice.

If I was you I'd ditch the second SSD (unless you install *loads* of games) and go for 32GB RAM instead.

I have a 2x 980 ti's (though more for folding than anything else) and my Vive runs flawlessly (except for some (driver?) issue that means I have to reboot every so often) - your PC is going to be awesome for VR.
I actually do install loads of games. I have over 1000 steam games, sooooo...yeah. Plus I plan to put a fair few mods on both Skyrim and Fallout 4 and those can add up.

So I need the extra 16GB now though? Like, do you find that 16GB isn't enough for some reason?
I had 12 on my old machine and used to run out fairly regularly - 16 would probably be enough but I like to have a bit more overhead to play with.
(2016-08-12, 06:06:47 AM)RoBorg Wrote: I had 12 on my old machine and used to run out fairly regularly - 16 would probably be enough but I like to have a bit more overhead to play with.
What were you using that rig for to run out of that much RAM on a regular basis?
Nothing special... BOINC and web develpoment :)
Rosetta@Home can take over 2GB, Photoshop will take as much as it can, MySQL, Chrome, Firefox, IE, a couple of virtual machines... it all adds up.
Well, I doubled down on the RAM, changed the PSU to an 850w Corsair, dropped a couple of fans....

With shipping insurance and tax (which was higher than expected), I topped out at over $5200 CAN. Ball crushing, that >_>

I might have to pay a portion of my credit card balance soon, just to give myself some leeway this month, as my limit is $6000.
Lovely build. I find no fault with the parts, and the case is classy.

Enjoy VR! I recently acquired a Vive and it is wonderful.
If you need game/experience recommendations, let me know!

Are you aware of the VR related subreddits?
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
My first unity app: https://mega.nz/#!fJ4y0bwC!KujaVj_-yieWg...L8DHm8lLhY (Vive only)
PS: boop the snoot :D
Look into the G900 for a mouse. If you are going to be spending that much on a gaming rig, you should be getting the best (reasonably priced) gaming mouse. Everyone I show one to at work instantly buys it. Amazing piece of hardware.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

Well, payment was officially processed the other day. I presume they're in the process of putting it together now.

I don't expect it before next week at the earliest though.

(2016-08-13, 08:05:09 AM)Ruthalas Wrote: Lovely build. I find no fault with the parts, and the case is classy.

Enjoy VR! I recently acquired a Vive and it is wonderful.
If you need game/experience recommendations, let me know!

Are you aware of the VR related subreddits?
I don't go on Reddit often, so that would be a 'no' then.

(2016-08-13, 05:27:51 PM)RoBorg Wrote: My first unity app: https://mega.nz/#!fJ4y0bwC!KujaVj_-yieWg...L8DHm8lLhY (Vive only)
PS: boop the snoot :D
I'll check it out when I get the Vive.
Uggghhh, like HALF of my build's components are 'out of stock' ATM. They really don't bother keeping their true availability accurate on-site, do they?

Fractal Design Silent Series R2 140mm - ETA 5-10 days
Western Digital WD4003FZEX Black 4TB - ETA 5-7 days
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series DDR4 3200MHZ 16GB 2X8GB - ETA 5-10 days
Intel Core I7-6850K - ETA 5-7 days
ASUS X99-A II ATX - ETA 08/19
MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI - No ETA yet but more stock on the way

I'll just wait *sighs* With that many components delayed, I might as well. I just hope the GPU isn't delayed like 2+ weeks or something.
Unfortunately that's a pretty common experience :/
How do you think I feel waiting for 10 1080s to come into stock?
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2016-08-18, 09:01:17 PM)hiigaran Wrote: How do you think I feel waiting for 10 1080s to come into stock?
The heck are you going to do with that many 1080's?

Folding Farm?

*Checks the Pride of Hiigara thread*

Yep. Your setup will probably be featured on some site or another if you spread the word around once it's done.

SOON