Axons are nerve fibers that transmit impulses to other nerves, muscles and glands. One human axon can be well over a meter.

February 2016 Competition: Maximum Science
Hmm. From a brief search, it seems like your PPD should be expected for that card at that lower core speed. Unthrottled, you could probably get 5000, but this is also influenced greatly by the work unit itself.

Are you hitting any excessive temperatures on that card? Is the fan running properly, and if not, have you tried setting a custom fan profile?
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2016-02-01, 02:12:38 PM)Rainboom_Dash Wrote: I tried that... ran it for at least around 10 minutes with cpu disabled... didn't go any faster

And I waited at least about 30 minutes to even look at the time remaining to make sure it finished its calculations for time remaining/points

Also for some reason it clocked down the already terrible video card from 700 to 400mhz core clock and it's running at about 98% usage so no idea why it did that

I'm just going to unplug it... it's really awful and it says it's going to take about 10 days just to complete one video card project and the cpu project is more like 20 hours but it says it's only going to reward like 500 points...

I'll just run my other computers... not sure why I'm even running the 5750... I have a 7970 and a 7850 and a 680m GTX and... I forgot what the other desktop is but it's MUCH faster than the one I got in 2008

"The heat is actually beneficial if you use it right" Yeah.. well it's only about 13C (57°F) outside so the room doesn't really need to be warmed up...

The 5750 has about the same power as a modern cellphone at this point, so I don't think it's worth the energy cost (~80W at full load).

Speaking of which, they have an app now. If you have a decent smartphone (last two years), it might be worth trying out. No idea as to the PPD with it though, as I have yet to research it.

It's below 30F in the frigid Northwest. Unfair advantage, I suppose   Twilightsmile
(2016-02-01, 02:20:28 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Hmm. From a brief search, it seems like your PPD should be expected for that card at that lower core speed. Unthrottled, you could probably get 5000, but this is also influenced greatly by the work unit itself.

Are you hitting any excessive temperatures on that card? Is the fan running properly, and if not, have you tried setting a custom fan profile?

Pfft... it was 65°C when it was at stock clock and 50°C when it clocked down...

It shouldn't have clocked down it just did that randomly... anyway I unplugged it so no need to worry about it

I'm getting about 100000 PPD on the 7850 HD desktop and right now it's only saying 50000 PPD for the 7970 HD desktop but that's because I paused it for too long and it's not awarding me bonus points for the current project and 63000 PPD on my laptop and I'm estimating the other desktop is around 30000 PPD if I run folding@home on it (not sure if I will or not)

My laptop processor is at 80C right now because for some reason it wants to overclock to 3.4ghz which for a laptop is A LOT but I guess as long as the bottom is cool it's okay

If I could turn down the voltage I could probably turn it down easily around 10% and keep the 3.4ghz and it would easily go down to 70C if not lower but... it lets me increase the voltage but not decrease for some reason... I blame dell
(2016-02-01, 02:24:29 PM)TehLizard Wrote: Speaking of which, they have an app now. If you have a decent smartphone (last two years), it might be worth trying out. No idea as to the PPD with it though, as I have yet to research it.

The F@H app is alright, but it still has several problems, regarding how and when it folds, and of course, the lack of any team joining.

BOINC on the other hand have got a good app going. Multiple project selection, using the same account and teams as your desktop counterparts, and full freedom over how and when it computes. You want to drain your battery and compute while not charging? Go right ahead and select the option!

I should swap out folding for BOINC in the next competition to give people the chance to do that, actually...
(2016-02-01, 02:53:11 PM)hiigaran Wrote: BOINC on the other hand have got a good app going. Multiple project selection, using the same account and teams as your desktop counterparts, and full freedom over how and when it computes. You want to drain your battery and compute while not charging? Go right ahead and select the option!

I should swap out folding for BOINC in the next competition to give people the chance to do that, actually...

You should totally do that, as I've never used BOINC before, and it'd be fun to try out as an alternative to FAH.
(2016-02-01, 02:24:29 PM)TehLizard Wrote: Speaking of which, they have an app now. If you have a decent smartphone (last two years), it might be worth trying out. No idea as to the PPD with it though, as I have yet to research it.

The F@H app is alright, but it still has several problems, regarding how and when it folds, and of course, the lack of any team joining.

BOINC on the other hand have got a good app going. Multiple project selection, using the same account and teams as your desktop counterparts, and full freedom over how and when it computes. You want to drain your battery and compute while not charging? Go right ahead and select the option!

I'm assuming it's not available on the iPhone
Unfortunately not. Taken straight from the BOINC wiki:

Quote:There are currently some technical and legal barriers to doing volunteer computing on iPhones. It's possible that in the future these issues can be overcome.
(2016-02-01, 03:11:15 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Unfortunately not. Taken straight from the BOINC wiki:

Quote:There are currently some technical and legal barriers to doing volunteer computing on iPhones. It's possible that in the future these issues can be overcome.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know Apple has super strict polices which prevent a bunch of possible applications

I'm really thinking of going Android next time
Yeah, so.... my desktop is saying it's getting about 25000 PPD for just the processor so why did my old desktop only say about 500 for the processor?

I mean the processor didn't suck THAT much, did it?

Oh well... as I said I have it unplugged so no need to worry about it
(2016-02-01, 03:14:57 PM)Rainboom_Dash Wrote: Yeah, so.... my desktop is saying it's getting about 25000 PPD for just the processor so why did my old desktop only say about 500 for the processor?

What are the procs?
Hurriedly throwing together secondary rig before bed...

[Image: zsljTTb.jpg]
(2016-02-01, 03:16:28 PM)TehLizard Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 03:14:57 PM)Rainboom_Dash Wrote: Yeah, so.... my desktop is saying it's getting about 25000 PPD for just the processor so why did my old desktop only say about 500 for the processor?

What are the procs?

procs?

Anyway the desktop I'm on right now has a 3770K with a slight overclock to 3.7ghz and it's saying about 17000 PPD and for some reason my laptop is actually higher with only a 3.4ghz clock at 18000 PPD and the desktop that has a 4770K in it has a slight overclock to 3.7ghz and is saying 25000 PPD so... 500 PPD for a dual core 2.4ghz processor sounds a little too low... if it was maybe 2000 I MIGHT believe it but 500?... no

What exact model of your 2.4 Ghz CPU is it again?

As for your overclocked one, it could be that you've overclocked it to borderline instability. At this point, it still works, and you won't get any errors or BSODs thrown up, but performance will drop a bit, unless you either raise the voltage to compensate, or bring the clocks back a tiny bit (usually only 20 or 30 mhz)

Could be several things. Ageing hardware, first work unit on a new FAHCore, throttling...
(2016-02-01, 03:29:30 PM)hiigaran Wrote: I think he meant specs.

Could be several things. Ageing hardware, first work unit on a new FAHCore, throttling...

It wasn't throttling... but the processor was really old

Anyway the desktop that has the 7850 HD in it just went up to about 200000 PPD :o
(2016-02-01, 03:31:42 PM)Rainboom_Dash Wrote:
(2016-02-01, 03:29:30 PM)hiigaran Wrote: I think he meant specs.

It wasn't throttling... but the processor was really old

Anyway the desktop that has the 7850 HD in it just went up to about 200000 PPD :o

And it went back down to 100000..... okay then?

I guess it does say estimated

SOON