Sagittarius B, a large cloud of gas and dust near the center of our galaxy, contains 10 octillion liters of alcohol.

[Worklog] David's 2015 Folding Rig "lol no sli bridge"
(2016-08-16, 05:45:43 AM)davidfg4 Wrote: Well, I figured this would happen at some point...

So after the third power outage in the past week I checked on the server and noticed that one of the GPUs was missing from F@H. After standard debugging I determined that GPU #2 had failed. I have started the RMA process and have shipped it off. EVGA's warranty seems excellent (3 years), and they even approved my RMA in 12 minutes on Sunday night. Are they staffed by robots? But I'll see how they respond when they get it and if they send me a new one.

EVGA's customer support is second to none.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

(2016-08-16, 05:45:43 AM)davidfg4 Wrote: Well, I figured this would happen at some point...

So after the third power outage in the past week I checked on the server and noticed that one of the GPUs was missing from F@H. After standard debugging I determined that GPU #2 had failed. I have started the RMA process and have shipped it off. EVGA's warranty seems excellent (3 years), and they even approved my RMA in 12 minutes on Sunday night. Are they staffed by robots? But I'll see how they respond when they get it and if they send me a new one.
I got a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, not the shipping company) years ago precisely because I was worried about outages damaging components.

Didn't stop one of my GPUs (GTX 570) from dying anyway (probably due to excessive folding). It too was an EVGA, actually. Didn't get it replaced though. It happened in the last year, and I've had this rig for 5.5 years now, so....
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601868&t=212997&b=luna2]
(2016-08-18, 12:04:31 AM)ShadowOfDeath Wrote: I got a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, not the shipping company) years ago precisely because I was worried about outages damaging components.

I do have my normal computer and networking equipment on UPS's, but I tried plugging my folding server into them and they complained (loud beeping) about too much power draw. This happened even in the surge protection only ports, so I had to put the computer on a normal surge protector. I haven't bothered getting a super beefy UPS for that computer.
(2016-08-18, 12:12:04 AM)davidfg4 Wrote:
(2016-08-18, 12:04:31 AM)ShadowOfDeath Wrote: I got a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply, not the shipping company) years ago precisely because I was worried about outages damaging components.

I do have my normal computer and networking equipment on UPS's, but I tried plugging my folding server into them and they complained (loud beeping) about too much power draw. This happened even in the surge protection only ports, so I had to put the computer on a normal surge protector. I haven't bothered getting a super beefy UPS for that computer.

Ah.  Well, I only use the one computer.  I got a pretty beefy UPS for it.  It's several years old now, but it should still be good for my next rig, which should use less to around the same as my current one.  I use this 900w UPS.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601868&t=212997&b=luna2]
Well with absolutely no questioning from EVGA, they sent me a new card right after receiving the broken one. The styling is a bit different and it is silver in color not bronze, but it is still a 980 Ti Hybrid card. We are back in business!

[Image: f35a1f8c6080419539fc48f260f74332.png]
[Image: 298e168eb0c99d88f3101140e51229b4.jpg]
Good deal! Have you done much overclocking under Linux by the way? I've found overclocking (especially on a headless box) to be a massive pain in the backside, always interested to hear how other people do things.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=652873&t=212997&b=twilight2]
(2016-08-26, 03:24:22 AM)BestPony Wrote: Good deal! Have you done much overclocking under Linux by the way? I've found overclocking (especially on a headless box) to be a massive pain in the backside, always interested to hear how other people do things.

I have not done any overclocking. I think the risk is too high for it to create failed work units.
WUs generally don't fail unless your OC is unstable as balls. My 780ti used to be able to fold at +300mhz on the core.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

So I had another GPU fail. Again EVGA approved the RMA almost instantly, and sent me a refurbished unit. Unfortunately the one they sent me was bad too. They were willing to replace that with an "Advanced RMA", where they ship the new GPU first, and cover shipping costs on the old GPU. The second one worked and I'm back up and running full strength.

This is a bit of a pattern, and I'm a bit concerned that my other two GPUs may be near the end of their lifespans too, so I'll have to wait and see. I wonder what the limits on EVGA's support are? Hopefully I don't have to test that. To be fair when I originally built this I planned to run it for one year, but I'll keep it running at long as possible. Now that I'm in my own house it is much easier to run and maintain. (Although I do pay for my own power now.)
Wow, really? I'm surprised at EVGA, I expect much better from them than to ship a faulty GPU... A year isn't very ambitious for a GPU lifetime imo, they should last much longer than that even if you are ragging them 24/7. That sucks about having to pay for your own power though, I feel your pain! Free electricity is best electricity.
If you keep getting failures, I'd start looking at whether or not other hardware you have might be causing them to fail. Are you able to check the voltage of your PSU through a multimeter?

Also, I've seen these PCI-e devices that feed 12v into the slot via molex that EVGA sells, which apparently prevents excessive mobo power draw from burning hardware out. Could that help? I honestly don't know if it would even be relevant though.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2016-08-30, 04:55:10 PM)Talifan9 Wrote: WUs generally don't fail unless your OC is unstable as balls. My 780ti used to be able to fold at +300mhz on the core.

This is the max I can OC a 980ti.  If I go 10mhz higher, I crash the Heaven benchmark and start losing WU's.  Temps sit at 60c.  No failed units in the log.  As long as you keep temps under 70c with a stable OC, you can fold 24/7 fairly safely. Twilightsmile

[Image: Screenshot_20161031-213933_zpsprira8ao.png]

Unfortunately, I have to overclock the 980ti's separately since the one can't even hit 1450mhz.  The Silicon Lottery they call it....

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
That's a very impressive OC, nice work PoNyePiC!

SOON