It is estimated that there are over four hundred billion stars in our galaxy alone.

New build - comments please!
Like the title says - any comments would be welcome (especially about the CPU/motherboard/RAM as those are the bits I'm least sure about...)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£261.04 @ Amazon UK) 
CPU Cooler: EVGA ACX mITX 46.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£76.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£76.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£127.49 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£38.70 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£529.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£529.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£152.12 @ Amazon UK) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) 
Total: £1883.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-08 13:40 BST+0100
Awesome spec! Looks very similar to mine in fact ;)

You're going to have to be super attentive to airflow with this build, the Ti's are absolute beasts but I've found that the ACX2.0 design blasts air out of the sides of the card much more than pushing it out of the back and out of the case. This was a massive headache for me when I was overclocking, I ended up ripping the window out of my case and fitting a large grille with 230mm fan:

[Image: 2iqoj1i.jpg]

[Image: 14uklro.jpg]

You'll not have this luxury with your case choice and with only a 140mm at the back and two 140mm at the top my concern is that you'll not be able to get all that hot air out of the case when you're folding. There's nothing wrong with the stock 'leaf-blower' GPU heatsink design, it might actually help you.

Also, that CPU cooler is tiny and there are much better coolers in its class, why have you gone for something so small? It's 92mm and your case can support one's 170mm tall! Get a big beast from Noctua, can't go wrong. Or get an 120mm AIO watercooled kit :3

I'm also interested to hear why you're going Z97 as opposed to X99? What are you going to be using this PC for?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=652873&t=212997&b=twilight2]
Looks like a pretty good build. I don't see any issues with it.
I'd suggest getting a CPU cooler that has a ball bearing fan, or better. Sleeve bearing isn't exactly top notch, and they can only be mounted in a certain orientation. There should be a HSF comno with significantly higher CFM ratings, too.

Other than that, looks pretty damn awesome!
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Thanks so much for the responses, especially for all that detail BestPony... I haven't built my own rig for about 8 years so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I have no idea what I'm doing with the CPU cooler I'm guessing the Noctua NH-D15S or Noctua NH-C14S would be a lot better (based mostly on them costing a lot more  Pinkiehappy ) but don't know how to choose which one would be best.

I'm going to be using the PC for folding & gaming (first person shooters mostly... can't wait for the new Doom  Flutterrage). Also I'll most likely get an Oculus Rift when they're out.

As for X99 vs Z97, from what I could make out the 4790K is the best Intel CPU out there for folding at the moment, and that only supports DDR3, but X99's are DDR4. I could be completely wrong though.

I've swapped out the case for the same thing but with a window in it, but I haven't figured out of it's possible to swap the window for a grille with a fan.
My graphics cards arrived from Amazon  Raritystarry

They sent the wrong ones  Raritycry
What did you get instead?
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2015-09-09, 04:34:38 AM)RoBorg Wrote: Thanks so much for the responses, especially for all that detail BestPony... I haven't built my own rig for about 8 years so I'm a bit out of the loop.

I have no idea what I'm doing with the CPU cooler I'm guessing the Noctua NH-D15S or Noctua NH-C14S would be a lot better (based mostly on them costing a lot more  Pinkiehappy ) but don't know how to choose which one would be best.

I'm going to be using the PC for folding & gaming (first person shooters mostly... can't wait for the new Doom  Flutterrage). Also I'll most likely get an Oculus Rift when they're out.

As for X99 vs Z97, from what I could make out the 4790K is the best Intel CPU out there for folding at the moment, and that only supports DDR3, but X99's are DDR4. I could be completely wrong though.

I've swapped out the case for the same thing but with a window in it, but I haven't figured out of it's possible to swap the window for a grille with a fan.

No worries, you're certainly getting back in the game in style!

Don't get an air cooler with vertical airflow like the NH-C14S as you don't have a vent on the side of your case, you should stick to designs like the NH-D15S which draw air across the motherboard and out the back. The NH-D15 (not NH-D15S) has possibly the best thermal performance out there for air coolers right now so it's a pretty safe bet. Are you sure you aren't tempted by an AIO watercooler like the Corsair H80i GT? :3

I wouldn't recommend folding using the CPU, it's a waste of electricity as the PPD will be completely dwarfed by the GPUs. It will also create a huge amount of extra heat in your case, you're already going to find this a challenge with two Ti's. The 4790K is a great CPU and although X99 and DDR4 is generally better in terms of performance it's certainly not as good value as the older Z97 platform! If you're mainly playing games you'll be fine, if you were needing to run large multi-threaded applications then X99 would be the way to go.
(2015-09-14, 02:20:18 AM)hiigaran Wrote: What did you get instead?

They sent the Superclocked instead of the Superclocked+... close, but not quote!

They just delivered the replacements and... wrong ones again  Flutterrage

I spoke to customer support and they said there was a note on my account saying I might get the wrong ones again, and if I did then they'd have to refund me 'cause they don't have the right ones.... so that's what's happening  Raritydespair
(2015-09-14, 10:29:39 PM)RoBorg Wrote:
(2015-09-14, 02:20:18 AM)hiigaran Wrote: What did you get instead?

They sent the Superclocked instead of the Superclocked+... close, but not quote!

They just delivered the replacements and... wrong ones again  Flutterrage

I spoke to customer support and they said there was a note on my account saying I might get the wrong ones again, and if I did then they'd have to refund me 'cause they don't have the right ones.... so that's what's happening  Raritydespair

The only difference between non-SC, SC and SC+ is the BIOS, I'd just take a partial refund and OC the cards! Save yourself the hassle.

SOON