The ostrich egg is one of the heaviest cells in the world.

Forum Status: FUBAR
[Image: Derpy_technical_difficulties.gif]

Yeah, so whatever this update did, it was not really an improvement. I don't know what went wrong here. Maybe the update process got interrupted or something, I don't know. Everything seemed to go fine.

As you may have noticed, I've been patching things up here and there. Most images are restored, and the registration issue seems to be resolved now, but there are still a whole heap of issues that still remain. Some of them I am aware of, while others I've found out from other users. By this logic, there is a good chance that there are other issues I am not yet aware of, which, the way I see it, will take too long to search for and identify.

As such, I see only one plan of action, and that is to wipe the forum files and start anew, keeping only the database which contains posts, user data, etc. The core forum files, this theme, all customisations and plugins that have made this forum B@H...All of it will have to be deleted. I can't revert the forum back to the previous version either, as the fixes I had to do to restore whatever functionality I could may have changed certain aspects of the files in ways that might cause reverted files to act in unintended manners. I don't want to break things any more than they already are.

I do not have any timeframe set out for this, but my plan is to download a completely new copy of the forums and install it on my laptop. I will recreate every layout and replicate the current theme there. Once satisfied, I will back up the database and forum files, delete the latter from the server, and transfer the new files over. I hope to get started on this as soon as I return from my holidays, as I have two days off before my next flight. To emphasise, your posts and settings will not be lost. The core forum files are what's broken and requires fixing. You may continue to post normally during this time.

As I will be starting on a fresh copy with nothing patched up or altered, I will take this opportunity to get any suggestions for forum changes. Anything you guys want to see in terms of layout or functionality? Something you think could be done differently?
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Damn, seems like this update has turned into quite an evil affair, sorry mate..

As a suggestion though, and this could just be my own laziness, what about a second one of the forum maps (not sure what to actually call it, but it's the "Brony@Home - Forums > Site Related > Announcements" thing on the top left of the advert slot) on the bottom of the page, or a back to top/top of page button to avoid having to scroll all the way back up through a long page?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=617410&t=212997&b=rarity2]
The navigation section between the top bar and the ad banner (or the random fact bar if you have adblock)? Yep, I can implement that within seconds.
Yup that thing.

And c'mon, whadda take me for, this is one of the few sites I tell my adblocker to not... well.. ad block!
Hey, I don't mind people using it. I use it for almost every site as well. Would be hypocritical of me to do that and expect everyone not to use one here.
(2015-06-19, 02:37:02 AM)hiigaran Wrote:
[Image: Derpy_technical_difficulties.gif]
As I will be starting on a fresh copy with nothing patched up or altered, I will take this opportunity to get any suggestions for forum changes. Anything you guys want to see in terms of layout or functionality? Something you think could be done differently?

Any posibility of implementing a enable/disable button for a "Follow this topic" functionality? [similar to the currently underused "Thread Subscription"; but without the need to have to post in the thread first].
Bonus points if a selection for "every new post" / "Daily" / "Weekly" updates is also available but not required to select.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=657718&t=212997&b=luna2]
That one already exists. You'll find it on the left, at the bottom of the page, saying "Subscribe to this thread". However, it's yet another broken feature. I can move it to the top for better visibility though.
(2015-06-19, 08:18:49 AM)hiigaran Wrote: Hey, I don't mind people using it. I use it for almost every site as well. Would be hypocritical of me to do that and expect everyone not to use one here.

Screw ethics, everyone should have to see our wonderful ads!! Nothing says Brony Science like *scrolls up* North Point Mazda! Rainbowwild

Also, apparently smilies still work if you type the actual code for 'em instead of just clicking them Moustache

edit: How easy is it to add smilies? I feel like we need this and a good gummy-wearing-tophat-and-monicle smiley
(2015-06-19, 08:18:49 AM)hiigaran Wrote: Hey, I don't mind people using it. I use it for almost every site as well. Would be hypocritical of me to do that and expect everyone not to use one here.

I just turned mine off when I realise you had ad's. Multinational corporations who sell a product can finance a website with or without ad's being shown. Every little helps here.

How much does it actually help towards to hosting bill?
This isn't really a forum feature request but on the site FAQ under 'How can I track my Progress' The world community one goes to the wrong team page, it should go to http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/v...JDSTCB5H12 . Although their team homepage should be bronyathome.org and not a subreddit.
I'll have to check that out at some point. Today is my last day before I fly back to Dubai, so hopefully I can get started soon.

As for how much ad money is made, it's not much. Probably enough to cover the renewal of the B@H domain name, with a little extra left over. I haven't checked in a while, and there has been a little more activity recently, so if that does keep up, there should be a little more, but it's not like we'd be rolling in enough cash to throw video cards at everyone (though that would be awesome...)

(2015-06-19, 11:58:36 AM)Slaigh Wrote: Also, apparently smilies still work if you type the actual code for 'em instead of just clicking them Moustache

edit: How easy is it to add smilies? I feel like we need this and a good gummy-wearing-tophat-and-monicle smiley

Yeah, the code for smilies and markup still work if you know how to type them manually. It's just the user-friendly clickable inserter doohickeys that don't work.

Smilies are easy to add. I can do stuff with that once the forums are back to normal.
(2015-06-19, 09:58:29 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Yeah, the code for smilies and markup still work if you know how to type them manually. It's just the user-friendly clickable inserter doohickeys that don't work.

Smilies are easy to add. I can do stuff with that once the forums are back to normal.

Cool, in that case I may try to break my state of perpetual boredom with a few good emoti-ponies for the new forum 2.0
Okay, fresh copy of the forums are now up. Old theme and templates were removed, so I had to start all over again with getting the theme back to the way it was. There's still a lot of work to do, but I think it's at a point where I can open the forums up again.

Please report anything unusual in this thread. Sections of the forums that don't match with the colour scheme. Broken images. Functions that don't function. Anything.

This nightmare is almost over for me. Once these final few bugs are sorted out, we will have that damn forum upgrade that it was meant to be.

Me and coding in a nutshell:

[Image: tumblr_nob76owasI1uv5tb8o1_1280.png]

*angry coding horse noises*
Nice work Hiig!

I second the desire for a navigation bar at the bottom of the page. That'd be convenient.
(Perhaps also a second subscribe button at the bottom as well? Most of my actions after reading a thread atm require scrolling to the top.)
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Will do. Probably in two days at the earliest though.

SOON