There are 20 different types of amino acids for humans. Proteins are made up of a combination of these acids.

[Worklog] The Briefcase Computer
Looking good!

All you need is a suit and a tie and you'll be ready for a LAN party.
YOU WANT UPDATE? I giff you update.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=602802&c1=FFFFFF&c2=00002...&c5=0C8ED0]
I made some doors for the I/O ports on the motherboard and the ports for the graphics card.

[Image: KgqEGuqh.jpg]

I made a backplate for the monitor to mount to. Not pictured here: the cutout for the controller.

[Image: wmgHn5Bh.jpg]

Damn that thing fits niiiice. I had to grind the corners on the monitor down to the wires. Then grind a bit of the wall of the case away. Then it fit.

[Image: QEUxM3Lh.jpg]

It looks pretty sharp once the frame gets on!

[Image: 4k1E0aXh.jpg]

As I said earier: damn, that fits nice.

[Image: Es4Nsjfh.jpg]

Here's a picture of the monitor power supply fitted into the case and the motherboard. Originally, the monitor PSU was supposed to be in the top half, but I simply didn't have enough space to fit the PSU behind the monitor. Thankfully, it fits perfectly underneath the plate that will hold the SSD and GPU.

[Image: ZIFGHVHh.jpg]

Here's a closeup of the monitor PSU. As you can see, I removed the plug and soldered the wires directly to the PCB because I'm a rad solderer.

[Image: 72874d4h.jpg]

CPU cooler fitted.

[Image: HIGoP7dh.jpg]

It's aliiiive! This is just to install the OS, since I needed a DVD drive to do so. I did *not* want to close everything up and then have to take it apart again to install the OS, since the CPU cooler hangs over the SATA ports and makes it impossible to plug anything in from the outside. Also, didn't install GPU because I didn't want to at the moment. Just installed OS and took everything apart again.

[Image: aUTGIkfh.jpg]

Tasks left to do: Secure monitor controller to backplate, secure monitor to backplate, screw backplate to top half of case, reinstall all the hardware, including GPU, then mount both sides of the case to the frame.
How do the side hatches stay close?
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Looking good Pinkiesmile

If you do need to reinstall windows after you put it all together you could always try setting up a PXE boot server.
(2015-07-06, 03:04:38 PM)Ruthalas Wrote: How do the side hatches stay close?

That has yet to be done. I have a couple brass latches for each one that I need to mount.
Okay! Well, I put it all together after installing the OS and it won't go past the POST screen. Also no keyboard input. Both keyboard and SSD are detected and show up, though. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Time to take it all apart again.
Bummer :( Is the motherboard connecting with the case maybe - hard to see the size of the standoffs.
(2015-07-09, 05:36:06 PM)RoBorg Wrote: Bummer :( Is the motherboard connecting with the case maybe - hard to see the size of the standoffs.

I figure I might've wiggled something loose on the SSD or maybe bent a prong on one of the connectors on the motherboard. It was running when I installed the OS, so it's not grounding to the case. It's mounted on 3/4 inch rubber stands on each corner.
The computer is running again.

I am not sure what I did.

First, I removed the GPU and used the onboard graphics. That didn't work.
Then I removed the motherboard from the case. That didn't work.
Then I removed the PSU from the case as well and tried a different keyboard. That didn't work.
Then I unscrewed the SSD from the plastic mount I have it on. That....worked?

So I'm not sure what was causing the problem, but it works now. Starts up in ~10 seconds. Yay for SSDs.
Monitor is back in working order. Looks beautiful! No blemishes on the display at all. This was a $30 second-hand buy.

Unfortunately, I also don't know what I did. I just took everything apart. The backlight is currently just connected via alligator clips and the control board wires are just loosely twisted together. Sooo...not sure what happened to make it not work, but the good news is that the entire setup is functional. I just need to get it back into the case while remaining functional.
Sometimes that is just the way it works.

Glad you got it sorted!

What's your next step?
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Going to head to the recycling centre sometime this week and snip a few connectors from some old computers. Previously, I had to connect the monitor to the power supply in the bottom half, THEN mount both halves of the case to the hinge frame. I plan on using a(probably a PSU connector) connector for the control board wires and the backlight wires so I can mount everything to the frame first, then just plug them in. Makes life a lot easier and less chance I'll accidentally pull on the wires when mounting.
Connectors ordered. On Friday, I put the whole thing together. Tested at three different points during the construction to make sure it worked, which it did!

Tried it out on Saturday.....nothin'. No monitor, no computer. Neither worked. At this point I have no idea what's going on, but I think it must be a short somewhere. Where? I dunno, everything is sprayed with rubber sealant.

Sometime this week or this coming weekend I'll take it all apart again and test it outside of the case. This is starting to get really frustrating.

SOON