Our DNA is made up of a combination of only four variables: Adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine.

Site Update Announcements
This thread will serve as a place for me to post any changes to the site, both on the forums, and on the main site.

As you have all been well aware, our website has been down for a good two weeks, when our old host company decided to go bust or something (we still don't actually know what happened ourselves). Ironically, we were in the middle of moving to a different host, when they decided to go down, and while we had backups of the site files, the database that holds all information for the forums, including registered users, and posts, was not with us. At least, not one that was a recent update. We apologise for those that have had to recreate their accounts, and all we can say is that on the bright side, because our forums are relatively new, not much was lost, thankfully.

Of course, behind the scenes, a lot was lost, and I had been working for several hours a day on getting things back to the way they were, and adding a little extra along the way. So with that said, have some site updates!

- Thread icons removed from forums
When these forums were built, there was a feature for users to be able to choose their own thread icons (not the icons indicating read/unread threads). These were tacky, and never fit with the theme of the forum anyway, so they were removed.

- Security question added to registration form
This won't affect current users in any way. It is just a simple question that is put in place to ensure that only those from the MLP fandom can register and post on the forums.

- Added character limitation on folding sig banners
An issue with the banners we are hosting for people to display their folding stats is that those with long user names (more than 14 characters in length) would end up with their names overlapping the label in the second column. A limitation has been added to replace excessive characters with ellipses. As these banners can be used by other teams, this limitation was also added to the team name. This does not affect the Brony@Home team in any way.

- Stats page on the main site updated
With the arrival of our site-hosted folding sig banners, they have been added to the stat page, alongside the customised banners hosted by Extreme Overclocking.

- Contact page updated on the main site
Minor change here. The information was simply outdated. Sellyme has long since been more than just the sub-team manager.

- Vault Updates thread moved to Other Projects forum
No point having one forum with one thread in it, so the DC Vault forum was removed, and the thread placed in the Other Projects forum.

- Collaboration with Fillydelphia Radio
More information as this one develops, but you will notice that there is a banner at the top of every page linking back to Fillydelphia Radio, showing the currently playing song, and number of listeners. This is currently in its early stages, and will be refined in the near future, as we work with the founder, WestJ
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Got a few more site updates which I have been working on over the last couple of weeks:

- Profile contact fields updated
If you check out your profiles, you will notice the archaic fields for ICQ and AIM (along with others) have been removed. I think it is safe to assume that we are all younger than fifty here...

- Fixed a small bug in the Now Playing banner
Some of you may have noticed that the Now Playing banner up top has been overflowing with its text, getting displayed outside the limits of the box. Fixed that. Also, played with the code a bit, so that the ellipses would not appear if the number of characters in the song name were less than the amount that could fit in the box.

- Added a link to IRC on the navbar
Once you log in, you will find that you can access IRC directly from your browser in a new tab. This is simply there for those users who do not have IRC programs, or require quick, one-off access.

- New donation page
Added another link in the navbar which will direct you to a page that will accept paypal donations. More information about the donations themselves can be found on the relevant page.

- Rules thread changed
Deleted the rules thread, and dedicated a custom page to it. The rules themselves haven't changed, nor has the location of the link, so this shouldn't make a difference at all to anyone.

- New overclocking guide
A (very) lengthy overclocking guide can now be found in the Hardware forum. At present, it is a little straining on the eyes to read, due to its 'wall of text' nature. This will be fixed in the future, but for those who would like to read it, it has been released early.
Been slow on updates, but have what little new stuff there is:

- Distributed Computer of the Month programme has begun
As you may have noticed, there is a forum-wide announcement for this new project Sellyme came up with. The announcement will last about a month, and then have a permanent place up top, as a link next to the forum rules. In all likelihood, I will remove the 'View Today's Posts' link, unless there are any major objections. Anyway, you can read up on the DCotM over here.

- Donation page updated
Added a section to the Donation page, showing credit for all who have donated money, prizes, or otherwise financially measurable items.

- Added 2 new folding signature banners
Check out the shiny new Applejack and Vinyl Scratch banners here.

That's all for now. I'm currently looking into improving the Fillydelphia Radio banner up top. Nothing much, just rearranging the content in such a way that I can show a little more about what is being played, and at the same time, increasing the font size.
I object to removing the link to getdaily.php! It's a very helpful tool, and one that'll be absolutely necessary as the forum grows.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Hmm...Guess I'll have to move things around, if I want to keep things roughly symmetrical, then.
(2013-03-07, 12:40:55 PM)Sellyme Wrote: I object to removing the link to getdaily.php! It's a very helpful tool, and one that'll be absolutely necessary as the forum grows.

Yeah, and since posting gets done in two cycles (Australia folks and US folks), it's nice to see what you missed.
[Image: 616872.png]
#727fb6 and #6c79b0
Few more updates:

- Fillydelphia Radio banner updated
As mentioned before, I planned on changing the banner a little. Originally, the text was too small, and matters were made worse by the fact that the labels for the number of listeners and the currently playing song were situated on the same lines as what they were labeling, so now they have their own lines. Not only did this allow me to increase the size of the text, but it gave me a couple of extra characters in space. And of course, taking up more space and leaving less that is empty looks better, too.

- New online/offline indicators
This was planned for a long time, but I never got around to doing it, until after several people complained about the online and offline indicators being hard to distinguish between each other, so I created a new icon that can be seen to the left of the user name, right in the corner, as either gray, or green. There may still be a debate about whether or not green should be used, but it's distinguishable enough, and I have left the relevant thread in the RFS forum open, should anyone wish to discuss it further.

- Help document added
I doubt many people are aware of the help documents link in the footer of every page, but I added a new section that clarifies who the admins and mods are, and how to distinguish between user groups.

- 'Member of the Month' link added
You'll notice a new link at the top to the right, called 'Member of the Month'. This is now a permanent link to the Distributed Computer of the Month programme we are running. Perhaps, due to the inconsistency of the names (DCotM was too long to put up there), I might just change DCotM to MotM.

Aaaaand that's all! The site OC is currently top priority, and hopefully once we have come to an agreement on what to do, I can proceed with creating an advertisement for Derpibooru.
So I was messing around with image resizing today, because the plugin we had is shitty and ugly. I originally had images set to fill the post body and be a maximum of 500px wide, but because the site's HTML is shitty (I'm looking at you, Hiig), Firefox and Opera don't obey max-width: 100%;

I have neither the time nor expertise to fix the asston of fuckery going on on the post HTML, so that's up to Hiig. For now all images are resized to a maximum width of 800px and a maximum height of 500px. This means even the smallest of monitors should display the site properly. A lot of empty screen space 1080p, but we'll fix that soon.
Image resize is no longer working... period...
[Image: sigimage.php?u=623788&t=212997&b=rarity1]
Ctrl+Shift+R: I updated the CSS, you probably have it cached.
(2013-03-27, 12:53:28 PM)Sellyme Wrote: So I was messing around with image resizing today, because the plugin we had is shitty and ugly. I originally had images set to fill the post body and be a maximum of 500px wide, but because the site's HTML is shitty (I'm looking at you, Hiig), Firefox and Opera don't obey max-width: 100%;

I have neither the time nor expertise to fix the asston of fuckery going on on the post HTML, so that's up to Hiig. For now all images are resized to a maximum width of 800px and a maximum height of 500px. This means even the smallest of monitors should display the site properly. A lot of empty screen space 1080p, but we'll fix that soon.

I never touched the HTML for images. I do change the HTML for certain things, such as when I removed the user-choice thread icons (that was a nightmare), but for images? Nope. Just CSS. That's exactly why I used that plugin to resize the images.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the plugin that makes it shitty? I'm aware that it takes a moment after the page has fully loaded for the resizing to work, but is there anything else?
(2013-03-27, 03:46:14 PM)Sellyme Wrote: Ctrl+Shift+R: I updated the CSS, you probably have it cached.

nope... still nothing on both my desktop and laptop.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=623788&t=212997&b=rarity1]
(2013-03-27, 08:50:09 PM)hiigaran Wrote: I never touched the HTML for images. I do change the HTML for certain things, such as when I removed the user-choice thread icons (that was a nightmare), but for images? Nope. Just CSS. That's exactly why I used that plugin to resize the images.

Not the HTML for images, the HTML for the post container around them.

Quote:Out of curiosity, what is it about the plugin that makes it shitty? I'm aware that it takes a moment after the page has fully loaded for the resizing to work, but is there anything else?

That makes it shitty on its own. There's also the fact that it uses an asston of CPU, and the "click to open fullscreen" thing is just stupid.

(2013-03-27, 11:34:26 PM)Luis_GT Wrote:
(2013-03-27, 03:46:14 PM)Sellyme Wrote: Ctrl+Shift+R: I updated the CSS, you probably have it cached.

nope... still nothing on both my desktop and laptop.

What browser are you using?
Like I said, I haven't touched any of that HTML.
Then why the hell isn't Firefox accepting max-width...

:|

Could you give it a look, anyway? I just tacked on a .postimages CSS thingy at the bottom of the theme in the Admin CP, and changed up how images are displayed. The latter won't need any modification at all, it just lets us reference them via CSS.

SOON