It is estimated that there are over four hundred billion stars in our galaxy alone.

Article on Citizen Science gives us a shout-out
So Caren Cooper (assistant director of the Biodiversity Research Lab at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences) has written a nice little article about citizen science, and gave us a shout-out while discussing distributed computing. You can view the full article here, and it's a fantastic read that really highlights how much good can be done with this kind of work.

There may be some more cool stuff coming from Caren, too, so keep your eyes peeled, and follow the blog for interesting news on citizen science and distributed computing!
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
"For example, consider distributed computing, which is another style of citizen science, in which participants donate their unused computer resources to computationally intensive research problems. In this case, fandom groups, who tend to be tech savvy, include promising communities of interest. The largest fandom group to contribute to citizen science so far are the Bronies. Bronies are typically young adult males (bros) who are fans of the animated cartoon show, My Little Pony. A herd of about 1,000 Bronies play in Brony@Home, a team frequently near the top of competitions in a suite of distributed computing projects such as Folding@Home, Rosetta@Home, and Wildlife@Home."

That was nice.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=16...=twilight1]
That's really cool!
Woo, and I'm the top one when they look up the team! How terrifying.
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

luckily avatars are small enough that you can't see them quickly Rainbowlaugh

What a cute gray pon..........oh wait

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
(2015-01-14, 04:23:07 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: luckily avatars are small enough that you can't see them quickly Rainbowlaugh

What a cute gray pon..........oh wait

Such a person would have to dig rather deep to find these forums, and care enough to actually read through some of the stuff. It takes a lot more effort to try and see what my avatar actually is and its setting...
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

(2015-01-13, 07:22:56 PM)Talifan9 Wrote: "...A herd of about 1,000 Bronies play in Brony@Home, a team frequently near the top of competitions in a suite of distributed computing projects such as Folding@Home, Rosetta@Home, and Wildlife@Home."

That was nice.

And an obligatory image of RD to make the whole article 20% cooler! Sweet!

Good find.
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]

SOON