The largest known prime number is 17,425,170 digits long and was discovered through distributed computing.

[Cancelled] The Pride Of Hiigara - Phase 3: Electronics
Aaaaand I'm back!

[Image: vnYivOxh.jpg]

Left and right perimeters are fully complete! The front edge that will attach to the front face has been drilled, and all the screws are in place. Total of 14 screws spaced 18cm apart. I've screwed them in, just so that I have a place to put them. Once the front face is ready to be mounted, I'll remove them, mark the place to drill, and screw them in with the front face to complete the base layer.

[Image: TxzgLvQh.jpg]

Clearance is perfect as well, with a mere 5mm gap from the ground. The clearance up top with the ceiling is impossible to measure, as it is that small.

Next, I need to grab my Dremel and remove a bit from the rear of the bottom sections of the perimeters. As you can see, on the floor, where the wall meets, there is a ~1cm protrusion that borders the wall and floor. This means that I cannot properly push the perimeters back just yet, as they would be slanted.

Once that's fixed, it's time to finish up the perimeter assembly with the bottom part! I may or may not get the chance to complete the majority of this tomorrow. If not, then I should have it done in a few days after my flight to Glasgow.

Also, I mentioned a while back that the left side rail assembly had an issue with the second rail sticking a bit. Turns out all it needed was some tightening on the toggle bolt, so that it wouldn't scrape along the inner rail. So now both sides retract and extend smoothly!
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
I have no idea what the end result of this is going to be, but I'm sure it will be awesome
Well I'm hoping to have some sort of result that can simultaneously make Twilight drool profusely at the sheer quantity of science output, Dash convulse uncontrollably at the speed, and Rarity going catatonic at the sight of the design!

In other news, I've measured and cut the three bottom perimeter sections. Tomorrow I'll need to sand a few of the edges so they are all uniform. Then, I can join them in the same manner as the left and right perimeters, attach the wheels, and join all three sides together.
Two updates in one day! That red bull I had last week must have kicked in!

[Image: Tr1q6Juh.jpg]
[Image: MW0RDaXh.jpg]

Bottom perimeter is now complete! It's almost ready to be mounted. Just needs the long screws drilled in for the front face, and then I can position it in the appropriate position.

The process here was pretty much the same as the left and right perimeters, just with the additional step of having some wheels. The holes on the wheel flanges were slightly too small, so I had to drill them larger. Metal shavings are all over the place, and I'm walking around in socks. I've already had my fair share of embedded metal in my skin. I need a neodymium magnet...

Anyway, made larger holes, drew the holes onto the wood where I needed the wheels to be mounted, made the holes, and threaded some bolts through them, securing them tightly with my trusty ratchet.

Hoping to have everything mounted in four days!
(2015-02-13, 03:52:59 AM)hiigaran Wrote: Two updates in one day! That red bull I had last week must have kicked in!

Hoping to have everything mounted in four days!

Looks awesome Hiig.

Can't wait to see the completed frame!
You may have to make a video showing how it pulls away from the wall. Pinkiehappy

How do you plan to access the back side, given that it covers the entire(?) span of the room?
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
I just pull the unit out, and slide myself on from the right side, where the entrance to my room is.

And I should definitely make a video of that. I need to fish out my proper camera for that though. The Nexus isn't exactly known for its superb camera...
Something along the lines of this?
[Image: VTHRDTN.png]
[Image: gJULhqJ.png]

Although that door actually opens inwards, I drew it outwards to not overlap with stuff.
Davo got it almost spot on. There's still room from me to enter and exit the room even with the unit pulled out. It doesn't open up by a large amount. Only enough for me to get the job done.
Been churning out the updates recently. Have some more!

[Image: bsNXiNUh.jpg]

I now have the bottom perimeter in position. Using two of my trusty C-clamps as handles, I picked up the bottom perimeter and aligned it as required. Seriously, C-clamps are amazingly useful for shitloads of stuff. I love them! Them, and ratchets.

Anyway, I don't have a clear view from afar at the moment, but I can only assume that just by putting the bottom into place, I have aligned the left and right perimeters into a straighter position.

[Image: U2fNmPJh.jpg]

I've also made a start on actually mounting it to the left and right sides. To do this, I first need to make sure the bottom is level, hence the leveling tool. Then, while keeping it level, I align the front edge of the bottom, to the front edge of the side, place a corner brace into the appropriate position, mark the holes, drill them, and then screw everything together.

Because of space restrictions, I can't get my drill into the corners while the two pieces are joined, so this first brace merely acts as a stabiliser, so I can more easily mark the rest of the braces, without having to keep leveling the bottom. Once I have everything on that side marked, I will remove the first brace, drill the appropriate areas, then screw everything back with my ratchet, and repeat the process on the other side.

So that's exactly what I'm going to do now. I should have the bottom mounted within one or two hours.
Very nice! That's looking classy.

Once it's attached it'll be a joy to slide it in and out for the first time!
I'm trying not to think of that second line in a sexual context...

Uhh, anyway, I've sent an inquiry for prices a few hours ago. I'm looking to get a sanding machine. Still undecided on which type, but probably a random-orbit sander. Basically it's a spinning disk that also vibrates. One of the more versatile types of sanders. I've also requested quotes for some more plywood, and a spool of door/window beading. That's the soft material that seals closed windows and doors to prevent drafts around the edges. Will use that as padding at the back of the unit, so that it doesn't damage the wall when it gets pushed closed, as well as minimising noise. They come with a cheap adhesive, but I'm going to use some tiny wood screws to secure them, just for good measure.
I'd specify that I meant the rack, but I don't think that'll help. ^.^

Aaaaaanyway...

I received a pack of five titanium chamfer countersinking bits that I ordered from eBay a little under two months ago. Will be using them to countersink on the acrylic to prevent cracking once the bolts are added for mounting to the base layer.

Also, I'm in the process of ordering more parts. I've decided on the random-orbit, which costs a good deal more than the orbital, but it will be worth it. I'll be getting that, along with three additional boards of 14mm 4ft x 8ft plywood, the window/door beading I think I mentioned previously, some more flat braces (30 to 50), and a dual cartridge respirator. The latter is way overdue, but now that I'm going to be sanding with something that's substantially larger than the little spinning drum on a Dremel, I think I'll be needing it. I'm hoping to have these delivered around the 23rd. No guarantees on that, though.
Wooo, updates!

So no delivery just yet. Looks like it will come tomorrow afternoon. In the meantime, I've made a start on the front face!

[Image: Yxrqq5Kh.jpg]

This was a nightmare trying to get up on my own. You know how much a 4ft x 8 ft x 14mm board of plywood weighs? A little less than me!

So, just like the previous board, this one was also wonderfully warped. Did a bit of moisture treatment on it, and it fixed the major warps. Still have some warp, but I decided I'll fix it after mounting. That said, I needed to lay the board flat on the ground, and lift it up so it would stand on one of its shorter sides. Then, I had to practically hug it and shuffle about to move the board into place. I needed to lift it slightly up off the ground, to align it with the bottom of the left perimeter, so I stacked several L braces, and while standing the board on each corner, I nudged the faces underneath. Then I used a couple of chairs, and my suitcase to keep the board from falling onto me, as I needed to have it stand straight up to properly align and drill into the perimeter.

It took a good long while, but the board is now securely mounted on the perimeter. All the screws are in on the left side, but I've only drilled two of the screws in at the bottom. I still need to drill in about 6 or 7 more screws, but I'll do them tomorrow, since my roommate is currently sleeping. I'm going to keep the L braces under the inner corner of the board though, as there would be too much strain on the two screws without it. I'd probably wake up to the sound of two massive snapping noises.

Two complications: One of the bottom screws snapped, trapping the majority of the screw inside the wood. Had to work around this by drilling another screw in about 1cm to the right of the snapped one. I just applied too much force, that's all. I need to be careful though, as I only have one more spare screw of this type left. I snapped two others while making the perimeters, and utilised the same workaround with them.

The other complication is screwing the board to the bottom perimeter. The left perimeter was easy enough. I could easily estimate where to drill because it was right on the edge, so I just needed to draw some lines, and I'd get the holes aligned nicely. However, the bottom ones...? I'm completely blind. At the moment, my technique has been to use my leveling tool and a ruler to draw onto the front face where the bottom perimeter should be, and then drilling into the wood based on those drawings. The two screws I've currently got in seemed to go in just fine, and I can't feel any bulging on the perimeter itself, indicating that I've drilled it accurately. Now the question is whether or not I can do this consistently for all, or at least most of the screws on the bottom.

Anyway, all this stuff is for future me to worry about. In the meantime, if my delivery does indeed come tomorrow, I'll have a little fun test driving the sander, and then I'll mount the second board on the opposite side. This will leave a smaller gap in the center. I'll cut the required length out of the next board and fit it in there, making sure it's as snug as possible. Then, I'll cut a few more planks of wood to fit at the top. As you can see in the photo, the board does not reach the ceiling. The boards didn't come in larger sizes, and they wouldn't have fit in the elevator if they did! So I'll break out my trusty handsaw for this!

I'm going to need to purchase more flat braces as well. Will need to join the boards together somehow.

SOON