Cancer accounts for nearly 13% of deaths worldwide.

[Cancelled] The Pride Of Hiigara - Phase 3: Electronics
It would look cool with colored water inside clear tubing and maybe a back light. I'd probably pick a color that would go well with the blue accents since you don't like red(which means I automatically don't like you -.-)
~Spy Pengen
[Image: sigimage.php?u=661255&t=212997&b=rainbowdash2]

CPU power!
It's not that I don't like red. It's just that red is a colour that has been done to death.

Anyway, there might be a few delays on the next part. Feeling a bit under the weather, so I think I'm probably going to go into hibernation for the next two days...
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Dyes in the water just end up clogging the waterblocks and radiators with gunk, not worth it.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601870&c1=4A2463&c2=F2AB5...62F89&bg=1]
(2014-10-06, 05:06:18 PM)Spazturtle Wrote: Dyes in the water just end up clogging the waterblocks and radiators with gunk, not worth it.

what about transparent tubing with a colored LED backlight underneath?
that way you can actually see the water flowing and if theirs a problem with the water flow you'll be able ro tell imediatly. Also do you need a special graphics card for liquid cooling or do you just have to replace the GPU heatsink? because I only have a passive water cooler on my CPU and I was thinking about getting an active one so I can OC more. current my CPU is at 4GHz and the cores are around 87-90C.
~Spy Pengen
[Image: sigimage.php?u=661255&t=212997&b=rainbowdash2]

CPU power!
(2014-10-10, 01:33:24 AM)spypengen Wrote: what about transparent tubing with a colored LED backlight underneath?
that way you can actually see the water flowing and if theirs a problem with the water flow you'll be able ro tell imediatly. Also do you need a special graphics card for liquid cooling or do you just have to replace the GPU heatsink?

I don't know if you can see liquid flowing through a watercooling system, even with clear pipes. There shouldn't be any air bubbles so you won't see anything flowing.

You do need what's called a GPU waterblock in order to watercool a GPU. It completely replaces the existing air cooler, and requires some careful work to switch out. Similar to switching heatsinks on a CPU.
Thermal pads are my worst nightmare. I've done a few practice runs removing/reapplying gpu heatsinks to prepare for the real thing. Those things are a pain.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

Why would you ever want to use a thermal pad? Those things are horrible, and should always be replaced with some proper thermal paste. TX-4, AS5, any of that good stuff. Just steer clear of those el cheapo pads.

(2014-10-10, 01:53:53 AM)davidfg4 Wrote: I don't know if you can see liquid flowing through a watercooling system, even with clear pipes. There shouldn't be any air bubbles so you won't see anything flowing.

Nope, a loop set up properly wouldn'y have any visual indications from tubing alone. You'll need an in-line flow indicator, which is basically just a little spinning plastic thing that turns when water is flowing. I think those are a waste of money though. If you have a reservoir, in most cases you should be able to check water flowing from there. Otherwise, your temperatures will surely be an indication!

Little update - Ordered some of my parts yesterday. I should be getting my workbench materials either tomorrow or after tomorrow, along with my router. That baby is going to make some noise! I'll post photos as I go along.
Meant the ones that came with the device itself, preinstalled.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

My i7-4930K is still running off of the thermal paste that was left on my heatsink from the previous CPU...

As long as you're not doing that you'll probably be fine.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
(2014-10-19, 10:03:37 PM)Sellyme Wrote: My i7-4930K is still running off of the thermal paste that was left on my heatsink from the previous CPU...

Oh my. Even in my most 'ghetto-rigged' builds I wouldn't do that.
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Yay, updates!

So it has been a while since I promised my update. I mentioned the earliest being the 6th or something, and then I had expected my parts to arrive about 4 or 5 days ago, but there were some delays from my supplier. Not a big issue though.

So here's what arrived today:

- 4 boards of 13mm 4ft by 8 ft plywood
- 1 router (the woodworking tool, not the internet thingy)
- 1 handsaw
- Pliers
- 7 butt hinges
- 4 caster wheels with brakes
- 13mm masonry drill bit
- Eye protection

Total cost: 1517 AED (412.99 USD)

[Image: IC65V5Zh.jpg]

Oh boy, it was quite an adventure getting the wood into my apartment! It took my ingress buddy (aka, my supplier) and I a good hour to do it. You ever tried getting 4x8ft plywood into a small service lift up 28 floors four times, while the lift insists on trying to close its doors on you? Not fun, people. Not fun at all.

...Okay, maybe it was a little fun, but it was tiring work! At one point, we almost gave up, and I was seriously considering taking the stairs with each board alone...up 28 floors. I'm crazy, man, I'd do it!

[Image: BVN9q7Gh.jpg]

So yeah, four boards. I know I'm going to have some excess wood left over once I've finished building this workbench, which is good, as it will serve as support structures for the table, and extra parts for the computer's base layer.

The idea with this workbench is to make something foldable, since there is very little room in my apartment, and obviously I want to be considerate to the other two living here. I can't just leave this in the living room. So, inspired by the folding newspaper trolleys that we have on board aircraft, I decided that some hinges and caster wheels (for easy mobility when folded) would be the best way to keep it compact when not in use. Best of all, I can fit it under my bed!

[Image: hILG0geh.jpg]

All the other stuff I purchased as well, neatly arranged for your viewing pleasure.

[Image: w9JwUkMh.jpg]

The star of our show, the plunge router! One of, if not the most important tools any woodworker can have.

That's all for now, folks! Due to a little issue with communication, mostly my fault, no screws were ordered, so I can't actually assemble anything yet. I'll probably grab a few screws tomorrow, but I still don't have screwdrivers either. I've ordered a set of magnetic screwdriver bits and a drill adapter for them from eBay, but shipping isn't exactly fast. In the meantime, I can measure and cut, though.

I'm still wondering if I should bother getting a jig-saw. Those are almost twice the price of a router, and I seem to make almost dead accurate cuts with a handsaw anyway.
Great idea with the folding workstation.

I appreciate my jigsaw. It's a pretty versatile tool, and with a couple of blades it will server you well.

The hand saw may serve you well enough for your project though!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
It's funny that my accuracy with a jiggy is much, MUCH less than that of a handsaw

(2014-10-21, 07:45:28 AM)Ruthalas Wrote: and with a couple of blades it will server you well.

i think you might have an extra 'r' there!

...and hopefully the extra one is not the first one...
(2014-10-21, 06:25:02 AM)hiigaran Wrote: - 7 butt hinges

He said butt Rainbowlaugh
Already started tearing into that wood today. Been sawing like nobody's business! I've already cut the top and sides, so the final part is the back. I feel like using a hand saw for all this cutting is going to quickly result in...

[Image: 350x263px-LL-6084ec99_quagmire20strong20arm.png]

(2014-10-21, 05:21:36 PM)RoBorg Wrote:
(2014-10-21, 06:25:02 AM)hiigaran Wrote: - 7 butt hinges

He said butt Rainbowlaugh

Bad! Bad RoBorg!

SOON