Our DNA is made up of a combination of only four variables: Adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine.

Bronycon 2014 Folding is Magic panel
This thread is for discussion of the panel that Onerius and myself gave at Bronycon yesterday. I will post the video in here whenever that gets online. (Might take a few weeks for all the footage to be uploaded by Bronycon).

If you saw the panel feel free to say hi!
To my dismay I wasn't able to trek out to the US to see it in person, so I'm hoping someone has footage!
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Bronycon themselves recorded all the panels, and they will be up in time.
Looking forward to the video, as well as photos of Onerius' cosplay.

Welcome also to anyone who stops by after seeing the panel!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
I guess I should say hello then. I'm currently traveling home from bronycon and I'm typing all this from my phone with a really iffy mobile network so I wont be able to get started right away but I will be joining you guys in F@H. I'll post more about myself in the introduction thread when I have time.
~Spy Pengen
[Image: sigimage.php?u=661255&t=212997&b=rainbowdash2]

CPU power!
(2014-08-05, 10:46:55 AM)spypengen Wrote: I guess I should say hello then.

Hi spypengen. Thanks for checking out our panel and joining the team!
Should be interesting to watch what you folks ended up doing. How was it, anyway? Still jealous of any attendee. Doubt there will be a Dubai con any time soon...

I'd say that I hope my job will take me to the next con, but let's face it, even if that was more than a remote possibility, my rosters aren't planned that far ahead that I could get a ticket in time.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2014-08-05, 03:26:28 PM)hiigaran Wrote: How was it, anyway?

I thought it was pretty good. There were 40-50 attendees. Onerius and I had a pretty good presentation, although I will have to watch the video and see how well I actually did. At the end there were some excellent questions from the audience.
(2014-08-06, 01:19:35 AM)davidfg4 Wrote:
(2014-08-05, 03:26:28 PM)hiigaran Wrote: How was it, anyway?

I thought it was pretty good. There were 40-50 attendees. Onerius and I had a pretty good presentation, although I will have to watch the video and see how well I actually did. At the end there were some excellent questions from the audience.

Bronies making questions about folding its good news by itself, we can expect at least an increasing on awareness about the potential of their PCs to do good for humanity without a master dregree on a science field.
Someone from the audience could join us soon! Lets check the statistics in the next months.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=657718&t=212997&b=luna2]
Video is live, go watch it! (um... if you want to)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO7q1C70YHg

Edit: Also, if anyone has honest feedback on how we did on the panel I'd love to hear it.
So that was Onerius rocking the Celestia look?

Nice to see the video finally up. Looks like you guys did a lot of research on your own for it as well. If you want some sort of feedback about anything negative, I guess I could say that it sounded just a little bit awkward and nervous in a few parts, but hey, it's a presentation in front of a whole bunch of people and a camera that will record it for countless other people. Most people might feel at least a little intimidated by that. Overall, I'd say it was a job well done, and even if we only got just one person to join out of it, it would still be a significant accomplishment. Though since the actual panel, which was quite a while ago now, I'm sure we got at least a few more.

Now that the video is up, hopefully a few more people would see it and get interested as well.

By the way, who were you guys referring to when you mentioned someone building a rig with 8 cards in it? Wouldn't have been me, since I announced my project details much later on.
(2014-11-06, 03:29:42 PM)hiigaran Wrote: By the way, who were you guys referring to when you mentioned someone building a rig with 8 cards in it? Wouldn't have been me, since I announced my project details much later on.

http://youtu.be/VO7q1C70YHg?t=31m57s

I'd love to know too Rainbowlaugh I started building my rig in July, so I'm gonna take an educated guess........But then again, it couldn't be me, since I ended up with 10 cards instead of 8 Rainbowwild

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
I just watched the panel, and I think we did a pretty good job. I said a ton of um's during the first part of the panel, probably because I changed the intro a few times and didn't know it as well. But we also got more comfortable and it got better as we went along. I feel like reading a script is a terrible delivery, so I try to know the material well and present from an outline or bullet points. I hope that the additional research and background on the projects helped make it more engaging. Whenever possible I tried to emphasize the scale and published results of projects.
Also, it's really hard to make a talk on distributed computing exciting, and it really hinges on the audience already being interested in the subject. But people certainly seemed to like it and we got a number of good questions at the end.
We'll have to see if Bronycon lets us back again. (I kind of doubt it due to the turnout, but it was fun anyway.)
(2014-11-06, 03:29:42 PM)hiigaran Wrote: So that was Onerius rocking the Celestia look?

Yes, that's me. I'm working on a costume to one-up it for this year.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=639038&t=212997&b=celestia1]
I wouldn't have suggested another panel. Not yet, anyway. It's not a topic that would have much new content in it for each year.

SOON