The largest known prime number is 17,425,170 digits long and was discovered through distributed computing.

[Worklog] Hiiggy's CCTV Rig
CPU is way better for WUProp and... pretty much everything, very few apps have GPU projects. GPU will get you more credit/day on DiRT than the CPU will get you on any CPU project.

Only projects that GPU is better for are Collatz, PrimeGrid, DiRT, and POEM@Home. On everything else the CPU performs better.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Well, yeah...That's why I was asking what would give me the best output, since I'm running PrimeGrid on the GPU alongside POGS and eOn2 on the CPU. GPU > CPU, but what's the perfect balance between the frequencies so that I can maximise performance, while keeping the temps down?

I'm going to experiment when I have access to the computer again.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
The perfect balance would be the highest GPU frequency possible without reducing the CPU frequency to something that would inhibit necessary functionality.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Makes sense. I think the old computer also has a PCI-e video card in it, but I don't think it's capable of BOINCing. Not sure. It could be up to 5 years old, and it's very low end. I suppose it could take some of the strain off from the iGPU, hopefully allowing me to push it a little more. Hopefully it doesn't involve requiring a dummy plug.

Either way, once all the cameras are connected, I'll run it without BOINC, see how much CPU is used, and adjust the two frequencies accordingly.
Update on the DVR card:

So I received the card that will connect the rest of the cameras today. I'm at a loss for words on this, so someone please tell me if I'm not thinking logically about this...

I ordered the card last week and received it not more than a couple of hours ago. Pleased at the delivery time, so like a kid on Christmas, I opened my package and inspected the contents. So far so good. There's the card, all the cables, and one of those midgety mini-CDs that contains the software.

This is where things started to go downhill.

Inserted the card into the PCI slot, booted up, and stuck the disk in the drive. No autoplay, so I opened up the disks directory manually. The file names were all in Chinese. I started getting concerned at this point. Randomly, I opened up one of the two .exe files available. I get a dialog box saying "The filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect". Same thing with the other file.

Bit of Googling later, the general solution here was to download Chinese language packs. It worked. Sort of. The installation programs opened, and the programs were installed, but even then, the software didn't start up. It gave me an error. Again, in Chinese. It didn't even install any drivers, because the device manager still showed so.

I'm going to send the card back, and I'm going to make sure they pay for the shipping as well as give me a full refund. Nowhere on their product page (on a site using English as the main language) did it say anything along the lines of "oh by the way, the software is in Chinese, and you have no choice to select another language, so tough titties if you aren't Chinese or speak it". interestingly enough, the product page also showed compatibility with newer versions of Windows, yet the box I'm looking at only shows Windows 2000 and XP. This makes me wonder just how old this card really is

Whatever the case, I've been making a few phone calls, and found a business here that deals exclusively with other businesses, so I can buy a replacement card under my business name. Unfortunately, it's 6 times the price, costing more money than the total value of the computer it will be installed in (approximately one and a half times more). Despite the extra cost, it does use PCI-e, so there will be no bandwidth limitation causing a bottleneck, and I suppose I'm still within budget, so it's not a major issue.

The sales representative I spoke to was helpful enough (which was a lovely surprise, given the companies I've dealt with in the past), and told me that all the cards they sell come with compatibility for the latest versions of Windows. Though he did say that there might be driver issues with Windows 8, so if at all possible, use Windows 7. I'll see how it works first, then decide whether or not to change operating systems. If I do have to swap operating systems again, I might try Lubuntu again, because I'm a masochistic bastard. Should that fail, then I'll use Windows 7.

So I guess that means there will be another delay. I'm waiting for my registration on that site to be approved, which might take a day, so this means I'll either have the card by this Friday, or next Monday.
More updates!

Got that new DVR card. Installation went off without a hitch, and I've already tested one camera. It was late in the day, so I had to leave it at that. Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can wrap it all up and install all the other cameras. Of course, a few more cameras will be purchased, so my work isn't finished anytime soon. Ladders and power tools await me after this!

But in the meantime, I've been working on trying to get the other card returned. Here is the current communication between me and the store:

Quote: Subject: Returns & Refunds
Additional information:
1: Upon receiving the box, I noticed that it only mentioned Windows 2000 and XP as compatible systems, whereas the product page on this site mentions up to Windows 8. I don't know if this has anything to do with why the product isn't working as expected, but there's that.
2: The software was in Chinese. WHY was this not mentioned anywhere on the product page? Not only can I not read the language, but from the research I've done, it appears that because it is in Chinese, it's likely that this is why I am unable to install the software. Apparently, downloading language packs for Chinese should solve it, but in my case it didn't. Regardless of whether or not my conclusions are correct, the fact of the matter remains that I'm stuck with a product in Chinese, which your company has failed to specify.
I expect no less than a full refund, with shipping costs covered. My computer has suffered enough downtime as it is, and further wastes of time are unacceptable.

Quote:From: Customer service
Hei
We are going to see if its possible to send to you software in english ,then it would resolve the issue probably.
Please wait and I must contact our technical staff for advices.
Regards

Hi
Sorry we dont have english vers of that.
You can check and see if you can fix the issue as we can not offer any other assistants in this case,
Regards

Quote:I've already tried to solve the issue myself. Even after managing to get the installation program to complete, I was unable to open the program itself. It showed an error box (again, in Chinese), and nothing else.
Even if I could get past this issue (which seems unlikely), I did not spend this much money to be given software that I cannot understand due to language issues (and which don't seem to work, regardless). Nowhere on your product page is this specified, so this is a case of misinformation. Had the product page mentioned that the software is only available in a language I do not read, obviously I wouldn't have purchased it.
I would like to know what you meant by being unable to offer any other assistance. I assume you do not mean that I am now stuck with a useless card, since that would be illegal in any country, based on the circumstances that have lead to this issue. If in fact this is what you meant, then I believe this would require managerial intervention.

[Image: luna_is_not_amused_by_argeri-d4sluox.png]

Hiiggy may have to slap a filly
I think you used too many big words.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

(2014-05-16, 08:10:23 AM)hiigaran Wrote:
Quote:can not offer any other assistants in this case,
I think that explains a lot.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=602802&c1=FFFFFF&c2=00002...&c5=0C8ED0]
Indeed.

(2014-05-17, 10:50:34 AM)Talifan9 Wrote: I think you used too many big words.

Big words scare people into submission. Its a tactic that politicians have been using for years!
Update! Have a screenshot of the system running via TeamViewer:

[Image: rlVd0An.jpg]

I've only set up 7 of the cameras so far. There should be another two IP cameras as well, but thanks to greedy software developers, no third-party IP cameras will work with the program until you have bought a special USB dongle to lift that restriction. More cameras should have been set up, but I've only been able to do three more so far (cameras 01 and 08 and 09), because I had to spend hours crawling around in the roof, getting all the wiring done.

Cameras 08 and 09 currently aren't visible because they aren't powered. I need to buy a power splitter for them, and hook them up to a power pack I already have.

I'll tell you now that it was no easy task. Pitch black, save for my pathetic little LED light, dusty, and with so little room that I was manoeuvring around, over, and under cables and air ducts like it was that scene from Entrapment. Hell, I'm pretty sure I violated a massive list of workplace safety regulations!
More news from the original card return:

I think you must make a fully clean re instalation of corect soft ware , it means you must fully un install and remove all related files and retsart the compute,then instal working software and test if it works.

instructions for clean un installations following:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/246041/ho...ndows.html

Please try the fully clean instalation guides and test again it should work.

Regards
Customer Care Rep.

Quote:I've tried that already. I do not need instructions on how to handle hardware. I run a computer servicing business.
However, as you have already mentioned that there is no English software available, I cannot use the software. Period. This product is useless to me, and I have already purchased a replacement card from somewhere else, since this issue has taken too long to resolve.
I shall repeat myself: I expect no less than a full refund with shipping paid for. Also, I will not accept paying this toll that I received in the mail from DHL. As your site failed to specify details that would detrimentally affect my usage of your product, the responsibility falls onto you to cover the costs.

This next one was written to me in Swedish, despite everything else in English, so Google Translate ahoy!

Quote:Dear Customer,
We apologize for the confusion.
The extra payment was levy , wood not charged by our company.
Please use this Swedish side to calculate duty
http://www.tullverket.se/innehallao/tjan...00173.html
http://www.tullverket.se/innehallao/t/tu...00927.html
In this case , we can not tell if you will be charged import tax or how much it would be due to Customs regulations vary from country to country.
Usually Customs will check the package with certainty category of certainty values ​​and charge import tax and other levies on imported goods based on local customs rules and regulations. Since not all packages will be charged for this additional fee, we remind customers when they placed an order . But we note this information on our website in foal wing link .
http://www.miniinthebox.com/knowledge-ba...a2125.html
Since you do not know the extra cost, we will cover half of it this time as an exception.
Please kindly give us the tax invoice and send it as an attachment by replying to this ticket . We will arrange a refund to you once we receive the invoice.
We look forward to your reply . Sincerely
Support

Hmm...Guess I'm making some progress. They're willing to accept the return and cover that part, along with half of the import tax, but that still leaves me with the other half. Tomorrow, I'm going to scan the invoice they want from me, and at the same time, I'll call DHL about this, since they were the ones who actually sent the invoice to me in the first place.

Gilda mode is best mode to shit done!

[Image: full.png]
More updates!

Since that case was so shitty, I decided to do a case swap with the old and new computer. Made life so much easier! And looks a little better, especially without my bogan solution to hard drive mounts. I also found a 1TB hard drive, which I added in behind the DVD drive. Added a couple of extra fans for more cooling, too.

[Image: NRccTIH.jpg]

I also took the video card out of the old computer, and popped it into this one. It took down the CPU temperatures a bit, so I could get it to remain safely at 3.9 Ghz. Unfortunately, the room it is in is very stuffy, and lacks proper ventilation, so it gets pretty hot in there. I should probably look into that and see if I can improve the air circulation there.

[Image: 5WmtvJR.jpg]

And here's the ugly part. All the cables that were too long for my uses ended up clumping behind the DVD drive. Not a major issue though. It's not blocking any air over there. Also, you can see the 1TB drive hidden behind the cables here.

[Image: IDGGbey.jpg]

Also, have some videos of where I spend most of my days working on these cameras...

This one has been stuck on 'processing' for some time now, so I don't know if YT screwed up or something. But yes, it's pretty damn dark up there...evidently.

Great way to start off a video is to grunt like an old man. I do that a lot in these videos. Hey, you'd be grunting, and breathing heavily if you were up there for several hours, either hunched over or crouching almost everywhere!

Also, I look like a bloody kid. I blame shaving!

Though this video doesn't truly show how little space I had, I think it shows it reasonably well...

Oxygen deprivation takes its toll (or something like that)...

Finally! Drilling stuff! And more bitching about how it's hotter than Australia during water restrictions.

This last bit took longer than I thought, so it's really just six minutes of me crouching and tying a string to a drill bit:

Ah the point in a build where you transition from "I can make this case work" to "I need a new case".
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601870&c1=4A2463&c2=F2AB5...62F89&bg=1]
I always half-expected that the first case would have been temporary. The old case was built like a tank, modular (mounts and spaces could be added/removed), and couldn't be accidentally turned off or reset with a kick, since the buttons are hidden behind a metal door with a key (not really sure why keys would hinder people, but whatever). It was practically begging to be used instead of this el-cheapo. It's why I cheaped out on the case.

Granted, I still didn't expect a cheap case to be this shitty, but you learn something new every day, I guess.
Mounted the next camera today. Took me ages to drill through the ceiling, since the drill bits were piss poor. I actually gave up at one point, then found a universal drill bit, which made things so much easier. Could have saved half an hour if I had found this bit first.

And then the batteries in my LED light died...

SOON