A single human cell contains approximately 2 meters of DNA.

Strategic project contributions
Seeing as we are contributing to something either way, I suggest we focus a little more on raising our overall points as reported by the DC-Vault by focusing on projects that give us easy points.

As I've mentioned in IRC in the recent past, I've been focusing on what was our weakest project, Seventeen or Bust, and single-handedly brought it up by a very significant amount, also resulting in a massive boost to our overall points n the thousands. Now my focus turns to Muon1.

What I want is to try and get the ball rolling on getting a few of the more hardcore distributed-computing folks to temporarily focus on such projects. I believe it's also important to get our scores boosted, as well as the obvious contribution to science. Since the latter happens regardless, it makes sense to do something for ourselves as a team.

Personally, my initial goal a few weeks ago was to get all our projects boosted to above 5000 DC points (as per the vaultimage). Since only one project remains, the next logical step is to get everything above 6000, which would only be an additional two, for a total of three projects that should be prioritised.

The train of thought behind what projects to do is simple. Since we are doing pretty well in our top scoring projects like Folding@Home, WCG and Rosetta@Home, it takes much more effort to gain a rank in them, than our lower scoring projects. When we gain a rank, we gain a certain score, which is determined by how many other teams there are on the project. The more teams there are, the fewer points we get per rank. So what we need to do is to focus on projects that aren't focused on as much by other teams, preferably our lower scoring projects, so that we can both shoot up in ranks, as well as gain more DC points which can bring our overall rank up.

Right now, we are ranked 79th overall. I think we all know we can do better by a massive amount. If you guys can help me focus on these lesser projects, at least for a few weeks, it should make a difference.

Projects to focus on, in preferential order:

- Muon1
Particle accelerator design. Is a standalone program, meaning it doesn't run off BOINC. Once installed, you need go to the installation folder, make a new text file in it called user.txt, and put the team and user name you wish to use in it. The team is [BAH]. My user.txt file looks like this: [BAH]hiigaran. No space between the team tag and the name. Once you have that done, run the muon1_background.exe file. You can run one of the other ones, but this one runs invisibly. Muon1 is not set to low or idle priority, so you need to set that yourself in the task manager. I know, this project is a bitch to work with. Partly why it's our weakest project.

-ABC@Home
Mathematical project related to primes. Runs on BOINC.

- NFS@Home
Also a mathematical project related to primes. Runs on BOINC.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Quote:Muon1 is not set to low or idle priority, so you need to set that yourself in the task manager.

On the Muon1 FAQ:
Quote:The program appears to be running at normal priority - how can I set it to run only in the spare CPU cycles? Open the file 'config.txt' and set the priority of the background version to 'B' for background or idle priority, the lowest possible. There has been some confusion over this because setting it to 'L' for "low" priority actually means it occupies the normal prioity class, just one point below the other applications you run, which is higher than the 'B' setting by about 7 points.

I've added the BOINC projects to my laptop's list.
May wait on the Muon1 until the other computer is up.
Any other suggestions on what projects to add to the new computer?

P.S. What an ugly website Muon1 has! lol
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
Since ABC@Home is currently not giving out work units (that, or it's very rare), you could add a few more projects. Stick Cosmology@Home and eOn in it as well.

None of these projects run on the GPU though, so add GPUGrid to your projects while you're at it. Just make sure you have your GPU settings correctly set under Computing Preferences. Don't select 'Use GPU even when computer is in use'. Instead, keep that box unchecked, and change the time in the text box directly beneath it to a suitable minimum idle time. BOINC GPU usage interferes with your computer, so choose a time based on whether you watch videos on Youtube or something. 5 minutes should be enough since most YT videos aren't particularly long, and if you use a media player program for videos (but not music), add the file to your exclusive applications tab so it never runs while the program is open.

(By the way, GPUGrid is Nvidia-only)

EDIT: Turns out that not all projects that use the GPU interfere with your usage. So far, I've only noticed it on Asteroids@Home, but you can steer clear of the project.
Currently active on laptop:
ABC@Home
Cosmology@Home (Trial, RAM useage appears too high)
eOn 2
fightmalaria@home (Temporary, I want to do at least 1 WU, just my compulsion to not have a blank account lol)
NFS@Home (restricted to less then 0.5GB RAM WUs)
Plagiarism@Home
Wildlife@Home (Received 2 WUs so far, quick to complete too)
WUProp@Home

I plan to put on the new PC:
ABC@Home
Cosmology@Home
DIMES
eOn 2
GPUGrid (I'll try 'Use GPU even when computer is in use' first, if problems arise, I'll take your advice)
Muon1
NFS@Home
WUProp@Home

Am I going to have any problems with Muon1 not being part of BOINC?
I just fear I'm going to have a problem of them fighting over CPU cores.
Specially Trained Derp

Quote:ABC@Home

Alrighty, good. I've never actually receive a WU from them, so probably nothing for you, either. Least we can be prepared when the time comes.

Quote:Cosmology@Home (Trial, RAM useage appears too high)

You can limit the amount of RAM it uses in your Computing Preferences.

Quote:fightmalaria@home (Temporary, I want to do at least 1 WU, just my compulsion to not have a blank account lol)

Nothing wrong with that.

Quote:NFS@Home (restricted to less then 0.5GB RAM WUs)

If you have these restricted, why is RAM usage too high on the other one?

Quote:Plagiarism@Home

Does this one get many WUs?

Quote:WUProp@Home

Good. If this is a laptop with an accelerometer, stick Quake-Catcher on it as well. Otherwise, once Spazturtle says that cheap sensor works, get one and add it anyway!

Quote:I plan to put on the new PC:
ABC@Home
Cosmology@Home
DIMES
eOn 2
GPUGrid (I'll try 'Use GPU even when computer is in use' first, if problems arise, I'll take your advice)
Muon1
NFS@Home
WUProp@Home

Sounds good to me.

Quote:Am I going to have any problems with Muon1 not being part of BOINC?
I just fear I'm going to have a problem of them fighting over CPU cores.

Nah, you'll be fine. Even if Muon1 runs on normal priority, it shouldn't affect your usage, and IIRC, the CPU for your new rig is 8 cores and definitely faster than mine (basing my response off my computer obviously).

You might have a bit of a problem getting the user name and team settings done with Muon1, but if you are unsure, let me know, and I can clarify when the time comes.
(2014-02-24, 06:17:42 AM)hiigaran Wrote:
Quote:Cosmology@Home (Trial, RAM useage appears too high)

You can limit the amount of RAM it uses in your Computing Preferences.

I have done, but this project is stopping me from using my other core.

Quote:NFS@Home (restricted to less then 0.5GB RAM WUs)

If you have these restricted, why is RAM usage too high on the other one?

I've restricted it on the project's preferences page.
My WUs setting:
Quote:lasieved - app for RSALS subproject, uses less than 0.5 GB memory: yes
lasievee - work nearly always available, uses up to 0.5 GB memory: yes
lasievef - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: no
lasieve5f - used for huge factorizations, uses up to 1 GB memory: no
While I can restrict the WUs for this project, I can't do the same for Cosmology@Home.
The link of RAM useage Sellyme sent me a while back:
http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/results/ram.py
One WU from Cosmology@Home uses about 600mb.

Quote:Plagiarism@Home

Does this one get many WUs?

Nope, the project is on hold, but it was the only internet based one I could run on Linux.

(2014-02-24, 06:17:42 AM)hiigaran Wrote: If this is a laptop with an accelerometer, stick Quake-Catcher on it as well. Otherwise, once Spazturtle says that cheap sensor works, get one and add it anyway!

I don't think this laptop does, I just tried to add it anyway. 30mins and still at 0%, I don't think it does lol
Yes a sensor, if it's cheap enough, a second one for my computer too.
Specially Trained Derp

What model is your lappy? Someone could probably check (or I can, if I have time).

What do you mean by stopping you from using your other core? These projects probably use all your cores, but run at a low priority so that other processes can get CPU power first.
(2014-02-24, 08:03:33 AM)hiigaran Wrote: What model is your lappy? Someone could probably check (or I can, if I have time).

What do you mean by stopping you from using your other core? These projects probably use all your cores, but run at a low priority so that other processes can get CPU power first.

Samsung R510, the 2GB RAM and 250GB HDD version.

From what I understand, the limit of not having enough memory stops other WUs from running. Normally I have 2 WUs working (not including non-intensive) at the same time with both cores at 100%, but when I limit the RAM with a big WU running, I only have the room for 1 WU using 1 core, leaving the other core unused.
Simply: No RAM for other WUs = Not going to run.

I think I'll be removing Cosmology@Home and put it on my computer only. My laptop can do more with 2 smaller WUs than 1 big WU.
Specially Trained Derp

That doesn't really matter though. If you have one WU running, your CPU is still using all of its power to complete it. As far as I'm aware, the WUs don't lock to a core.
(2014-02-24, 04:34:42 PM)hiigaran Wrote: That doesn't really matter though. If you have one WU running, your CPU is still using all of its power to complete it. As far as I'm aware, the WUs don't lock to a core.

Cosmology@Home going solo:
[Image: 1WU.png]

Normally with 2 WUs, both would be at 100%.
Plus this project is slowing my laptop a bit, due to it swapping me as soon as I open a few tabs in my browser, just like Rosetta@Home did during the CCCC. I could limit BOINC's RAM usage more but if I do, the limit would be lower than a Cosmology@Home WU.
Never fear, any projects the laptop isn't able to do (or do efficiently), I'll double their resource share on the computer.

EDIT:
Never seen BOINC say it needs memory before, but it does help prove my point Derpytongue2
[Image: Lack%20of%20RAM%20BOINC.png]
Specially Trained Derp

Hmm. The cores could just be a Linux thing, or me not noticing due to having multiple work units running at the same time.

As for the RAM, that does happen, though usually it wouldn't download a WU that requires that much RAM unless you set your 'in-use' and 'idle' memory percentage settings accordingly.

Either way, it's doing stuff. That's all that matters!
After today's vault update, and almost 450 points gained, it turns out that the Leiden Classical project on BOINC is giving us easy points. Probably because we are ranked lower on it than on Muon1, but whatever the reason, it's currently a juicy opportunity to boost our DC ranking, so chuck the project onto BOINC and run it for a few weeks!
(2014-02-25, 05:15:30 AM)hiigaran Wrote: Hmm. The cores could just be a Linux thing, or me not noticing due to having multiple work units running at the same time.

As for the RAM, that does happen, though usually it wouldn't download a WU that requires that much RAM unless you set your 'in-use' and 'idle' memory percentage settings accordingly.

Either way, it's doing stuff. That's all that matters!

Some projects have multi-core applications, but most don't. The vast majority of BOINC projects will only run on one core per process.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
NFS@home can use up-to 2.1GB of RAM per core it is running on. The guys over at hard found this out when they tried to run it on 64 core rigs and it made them cry.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601870&c1=4A2463&c2=F2AB5...62F89&bg=1]
(2014-04-05, 05:20:57 AM)Spazturtle Wrote: NFS@home can use up-to 2.1GB of RAM per core it is running on. The guys over at hard found this out when they tried to run it on 64 core rigs and it made them cry.
BURP is even worse: up to 8GB per task (and I once would've gotten a 12GB one, but laptop didn't have enough RAM for it). Had to limit it to only 2 instances in config because of that.

(2014-04-05, 04:56:56 AM)Sellyme Wrote: Some projects have multi-core applications, but most don't. The vast majority of BOINC projects will only run on one core per process.
<3 Milkyway@Home 'cause of that.
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2856731&t=81403693&b=rainbowdash2]

SOON