Cancer accounts for nearly 13% of deaths worldwide.

Brony@Home's 2014 New Year's Goals
Alright everypony, 2014 is coming, and it's time to assess where our team is, and where we want to be. Here's a quick overview of what we've accomplished this year:
  • 1st in Rosetta@Home by PPD
  • 3rd in Majestic-12 by PPD
  • Top 100 in 10 BOINC projects (QCNT, QCN EMSC/CSEM, Bitcoin Utopia, La Red, Volpex, Convector, Rosetta, WCG, Albert, WEP)
  • 5th in DIMES by PPD, and 32nd overall.
  • 85th in the DC Vault, and 26th in the Miscellaneous category.
  • 74th in World Community Grid (99.75th percentile) and 52nd in Folding@Home (99.94th percentile)

So, all in all, we've had a pretty good year. But I want to make 2014 an even better one. First off, as you know, we regularly host challenges and competitions amongst ourselves. What you may not know is that many BOINC projects host their own, official challenges.

The reason you may not know of this is because we haven't really been advertising them; we've never really been good enough to stand a chance.

That's going to change.

Here's a list of upcoming major challenges that we're going to participate in:

December 28 - January 4: Rosetta@Home Rita Levi-Montalcini Memorial
This challenge is a CPU-only challenge on Rosetta@Home. We're currently by a wide margin the #1 producer on Rosetta, so I wholly expect us to win this challenge. Don't let me down.

To participate in this challenge, simply run Rosetta@Home, no extra configuration is needed.

January 3 - January 18: PrimeGrid Year of the Horse Pony Edition
Across this time period, PrimeGrid is running two "Year of the Horse" challenges, the Stallion Edition, and the Pony Edition. Both of them are based on Genefer prime searches, with the Stallion Edition focusing on world record primes, and the Pony Edition on shorter tasks. As the world record primes take 10+ days even on a high-end GPU, I think it's better to focus on the Pony Edition. Besides, it's named "Pony Edition", what other motivation do you need?

To participate in this challenge, you will want to set up your PrimeGrid preferences to enable "Generalised Fermat Prime Search" on NVIDIA and/or AMD/ATI, depending on what GPU(s) you run. You will also want to deselect AMD/ATI and NVIDIA from "Proth Prime Search (Sieve)", so all your power is going towards the challenge.

If you wish to run this on your CPU as well, you can do so, but just a warning: even on high-end CPUs even the short Genefer tasks take upwards of ten days, so you will likely only complete one in the time of the challenge.

Future PrimeGrid challenges

PrimeGrid has an entire challenge series throughout the year, with a final leaderboard at the end of the year based on position, similar to Formula 1. In 2013 we finished at a pretty dismal 181st place, only appearing in the top 100 for the last two challenges of the year. This year, I want to see us appear in top 100 of every individual challenge, as well as top 50 at the end of the year. You can see details about the challenge series here.

In addition to these challenges, and the more to come, I want to hit some solid, hard number goals this year. Unless otherwise stated, these goals are for the end of the year.
  • Top 50 in Folding@Home by the end of January (now 52nd, at current PPD it will take until February 6)
  • Top 25 in Folding@Home
  • Top 5 in Majestic-12 (now 12th, at current PPD it will take 8 months)
  • 1,000,000,000 points overall in BOINC (now 336,803,849)
  • 5,000,000 points per day in Folding@Home (now 2,560,609; peak of 3.5 million)
  • Top 30 in the DC-Vault (now 85th)
  • Top 100 in at least 25 projects (now 13)
  • Top 150 in BOINC Combined (now 288th, 150th has 600 million more points than us)

There's our goals. Think we can hit them?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
(2013-12-23, 11:22:54 AM)Sellyme Wrote: There's our goals. Think we can hit them?

[Image: sigimage.php?u=601870&c1=4A2463&c2=F2AB5...62F89&bg=1]
In support of these goals, I've bumped my desktop back up to full on all cores. Which isn't much, but it's another core.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=639661&t=212997&b=rainbowdash2]
Perhaps I can buy an additional 780ti...
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=16...=twilight1]
I'm going to continue with Rosetta@Home until the end of the CCCC (Jan 19th) and then switch back to WCG, unless there is another challenge a dual core 2GHz CPU is useful for.
The main reason I'm wanting to go back to WCG is the amount of RAM Rosetta is using, my laptop is slowing to a halt due to the swap usage, I'm only putting up with it due to the challenge.
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
Rosetta does use a lot of RAM, but WCG does too; most other projects use less than either of them.
(2013-12-24, 10:38:36 AM)Sellyme Wrote: Rosetta does use a lot of RAM, but WCG does too; most other projects use less than either of them.

Strange, I've never had a RAM problem with WCG Rainbowhuh

The Clean Energy Project Phase 2 uses the most RAM, but I had to disable that one due to my CPU being unable to complete the WUs in time due to it's checkpointing system.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/help/v...minimumreq

I may look around at other projects.
I'm not in this just for the points, I like my CPU time to be used for something worthwhile, points are just a bonus to me Twilightsheepish
Specially Trained Derp

WCG definitely does use less RAM than Rosetta, but it still uses a pretty substantial amount compared to other BOINC projects; most use around 70MB or less.

http://wuprop.boinc-af.org/results/ram.py
I might spread out to a bunch of different projects instead of sticking with one.

One project that did get my eye, Plagiarism@Home. An internet based project that may work with my Linux. However it appears our team is inactive:
http://plagiarism.boincpolska.org/plagia...eamid=1633
Specially Trained Derp

Our team isn't inactive as such, it's just that there's shit-all work. I've had it attached for about a month, but I'm yet to get any work.

I looked at the Free-DC stats, and there is some given out, I've just been unlucky enough to not get any.

SOON