There are approximately 300 different types of cells in a human body.

[Project] Rosetta@Home
Seeing as there should be thousands of bronys out there with computers tucking away at the proteins (if you don't know why, go here), there should be some kind of need for a thread. Like, to flex ones computational muscles in or something.

Two weeks have passed now, and the competition over at reddit have gone into the second phase. Sadly I'll personally sit that one out, *grumbles* no music *grumbles*,
BUT! The computation continues.
We will step back into the shadows from which we came, biding our time while whacking away at the endless stream of computable binaries, and when the time is right we will claim our rightfull place as victors of good! Flutterrage

Or something. That is why I never got to be a dramatic writer.

Seriously though, it's a shame Rosetta only uses the CPU. There are only so many ways you can speed up your processor, and you'd have to build a whole new computer to get more computational power. Makes me wanna get one of them 64 core servers. Instead I'm stuck with some standard Intel i5-4670K and i5-3210M.

Does anyone know any way to further "dope" your computer for these kinds of things? Like, speeding up RAM, Hard Drive, core-bind threads. I'm trying to churn as much as possible out of these components.

Anyway, feel free to use this thread for anything Rosetta@Home related, such as scoreboards, contest standings, derpy pictures... Derpytongue2

We are soo gonna win this! Rainbowwild

HiigEDIT: Changed thread title.
Folding@home which also folds proteins has a new very efficient GPU core.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=601870&c1=4A2463&c2=F2AB5...62F89&bg=1]
(2013-12-02, 08:45:58 AM)Rigid Chaser Wrote: Does anyone know any way to further "dope" your computer for these kinds of things? Like, speeding up RAM, Hard Drive, core-bind threads. I'm trying to churn as much as possible out of these components.

Rosetta@Home (and most other CPU-only BOINC projects) are great in their simplicity. The best way to increase your production is to overclock the fuck out of your CPU, and then buy more CPUs.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Preferably not in that order...
[Image: sigimage.php?EWUser=hiigaran&Image=changeling1]
I've started suffering a strange problem with BOINC/Rosetta and I was wondering if any of you know why this happens.
I'm running on a dual core processor, so normally I'm running 2 CPU intensive WUs at any one time. But atm my laptop is absolutely refusing to run a second WU, when I check the system monitor only one core is being used. This has happened once before and when I looked back later it fixed itself. My only guess is some WUs require either more RAM than I have or they require me to run it solo Derpyderp2

Any ideas?
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
You're pretty much on the money with that. Rosetta uses significantly more RAM than most other projects. If one work unit is taking up most of your allocated RAM, then there is likely not enough RAM to run a second unit.
[Image: sigimage.php?EWUser=hiigaran&Image=changeling1]
Seeing how much RAM I'm still using, it's probably that. That would also explain why it never happened with WCG.
Well I'll check on it later.

I expected to see it mentioned somewhere in the event log, but it says nothing about why it stopped, just that it did.

Update:
Half way through the unit, it suddenly started another. I was expecting to at least finish the current one first lol
Specially Trained Derp

[Image: sigimage.php?w=484539&t=81403693&b=twilight2]
BOINC "rotates" WUs occasionally, due to the lack of QRB, this helps ensure that you get everything in your queue finished, even if a bug comes up that causes one WU to be screwy.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
Thought I'd bring this up... a recent article about some of the things that Rosteea@home has done and is continuing to do...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/26/scien...baker.html
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

(2018-02-26, 01:46:48 PM)tiwake Wrote: Thought I'd bring this up... a recent article about some of the things that Rosteea@home has done and is continuing to do...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/26/scien...baker.html

I love seeing where all this processing power goes.  I could see lifespans increased to 150 years with the advances we are making.  Assuming we don't kill ourselves first with robots, nukes and artificial intelligence.

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
(2018-02-26, 08:17:53 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: I love seeing where all this processing power goes.  I could see lifespans increased to 150 years with the advances we are making.  Assuming we don't kill ourselves first with robots, nukes and artificial intelligence.

Honestly the FDA would likely block most of that... would likely have to go to mexico to get proper treatment
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

SOON