The human body contains at least 50,000 types of proteins.

F@H General Discussion
Is it normal for a powerful CPU to be much slower than a GPU? I have a 2.2GHz 10-Core Xeon and a regular GTX 1070. The CPU slot seems to be significantly slower than the GPU slot and has 10 times lower PPD. Is that pretty much expected?
[Image: bw6QYBF.png]
The GPU is generally better suited to F@H and similar applications due to its parallel processing. While a CPU might only have a few cores, GPUs have many more. This is why GPU computing is so popular, both for distributed-computing, and GPU based cryptocurrency mining.

In other news, I spoke too soon about the rig working. Boots past the splash screen, then reboots automatically before the desktop appears. Now this is also happening on the old hard drive which was working to begin with.

I'm at my limit. I'm downloading a copy of Windows.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2018-02-14, 12:28:16 PM)IG-64 Wrote: Is it normal for a powerful CPU to be much slower than a GPU? I have a 2.2GHz 10-Core Xeon and a regular GTX 1070. The CPU slot seems to be significantly slower than the GPU slot and has 10 times lower PPD. Is that pretty much expected?

You might consider using a processor on rosetta@home instead. After this competition ended I switched my desktop and server processor over to that. It is still folding proteins, but the project is slightly different and runs only on the processor. After running folding@home a number of years, I suspect the way Pande labs (the people who run folding@home) are at this point are distributing points is such that it makes videocards look better than they actually are.

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

(2018-02-14, 12:28:16 PM)IG-64 Wrote: Is it normal for a powerful CPU to be much slower than a GPU? I have a 2.2GHz 10-Core Xeon and a regular GTX 1070. The CPU slot seems to be significantly slower than the GPU slot and has 10 times lower PPD. Is that pretty much expected?

You might consider using a processor on rosetta@home instead. After this competition ended I switched my desktop and server processor over to that. It is still folding proteins, but the project is slightly different and runs only on the processor. After running folding@home a number of years, I suspect the way Pande labs (the people who run folding@home) are at this point are distributing points is such that it makes videocards look better than they actually are.

Those Xeons are a beast at Rosetta.  You can be in the top 1% on Rosetta if you run it 24/7.

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
As a quick note, it looks like your problem may be related to the 390.25 driver, at least I've found some recent reports with some similar log messages that were using this driver. Have you tried the current one proposed by Ubuntu?

Also for cloning, I've so far always copied the partitions with GParted too, no need to use dd. For the resulting boot issues, this program has always helped, it also works from a live USB (As a result, I still don't know how to fix GRUB manually, though).

Interesting. I could run rosetta@home on CPU and folding@home on GPU perhaps?
(2018-02-15, 09:59:53 AM)tiwake Wrote: You might consider using a processor on rosetta@home instead. 

Interesting. I could run rosetta@home on CPU and folding@home on GPU perhaps?

That's what I do.  My GPUs do folding all day, and my CPUs run Rosetta.

[Image: sigimage.php?u=658963&t=212997&b=rainbowdash1]
(2018-02-15, 02:45:31 PM)MerkaST Wrote: As a quick note, it looks like your problem may be related to the 390.25 driver, at least I've found some recent reports with some similar log messages that were using this driver. Have you tried the current one proposed by Ubuntu?

Also for cloning, I've so far always copied the partitions with GParted too, no need to use dd. For the resulting boot issues, this program has always helped, it also works from a live USB (As a result, I still don't know how to fix GRUB manually, though).

390, 387 and 384 all had the same issues.

Either way, I ended up getting the cloning process to work with Clonezilla. System worked for a few hours, froze up while I was asleep, didn't want to boot, then didn't boot on the old drive either, then I tried booting with just one GPU, then I put the GPUs back, then it booted on the new drive.

It was a rollercoaster I tell you! Looks like the system is running okay for now. Uptime is currently 1 day and 4 hours.

Funnily enough, it started to behave around the time that I was loading a copy of Windows onto a USB drive. I think it must have sense that I was about to defile it or something, I don't know. I'm keeping the drive underneath the system as a warning for it to behave!

I'll be away for 5 or 6 days starting tomorrow, but if I've got the time and energy, I'll get started on the next system.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Hmm. I'll have to try Rosetta with my CPU. I'm currently mining on my 2 1080s until I can afford 2 more. Then I want to fold on all 4 (Maybe have one of them mine to pay the electric bill from folding).
Rig: EVGA X99 Classified, Core i7-5960X 4.5GHz All-Cores, 2x GTX 1080, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, Windows 10 Edu
[Image: sigimage.php?u=730961&t=212997&b=applejack1]
(2018-02-15, 01:28:22 PM)PoNyePiC Wrote: Those Xeons are a beast at Rosetta.  You can be in the top 1% on Rosetta if you run it 24/7.

Currently 4th on the team in average credit!  Twilightsheepish

SOON