A single human cell contains approximately 2 meters of DNA.

F@H General Discussion
(2013-09-13, 10:51:27 AM)Talifan9 Wrote: Right. Knew that, just do not understand why people call it unparking cores if they are only threads. But as I understand it they get unparked by the OS anyway (supposed to be temporary I guess?). Not sure why mine are if they are mostly idle.

A thread is a process, a core is a.. well... a piece of a processor that can run a single thread at any given time. A hyperthreaded core (or just hyperthread) is a core more or less split in half... a quasi-core or half core of sorts. The hyperthread is mostly on the software side and can be enabled/disabled through the BIOS generally. Basically the only reason why it exists is intel decided they wanted another way to do power saving... when a processor is being used more than 50% as a whole, its sometimes better to just disable the hyperthreading option.

Mind you, the interactions between a program, the operating system, the processor, and processor cores is pretty complicated... What is better and what is not is greatly dependent on all of those interactions as a whole.
IRC channel Yay for brony@home (irc.canternet.org #foldingismagic)
http://derpy.me/gLbV2

[Image: sigimage.php?u=605723&t=212997&b=twilight3]

Wow, I've been looking at my stats, and my points output is just horrendous. Not too long ago, I was getting 20-30k PPD when I was folding on SMP and GPU for about 12 to 18 hours a day. Since then, my CPU has moved to BOINC, so I'm only GPU folding, but in the last few days, I have been folding 24 hours, and my PPD hasn't gone above 15K.

Must be some crappy WUs.
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
(2013-10-06, 05:57:46 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Wow, I've been looking at my stats, and my points output is just horrendous. Not too long ago, I was getting 20-30k PPD when I was folding on SMP and GPU for about 12 to 18 hours a day. Since then, my CPU has moved to BOINC, so I'm only GPU folding, but in the last few days, I have been folding 24 hours, and my PPD hasn't gone above 15K.

Must be some crappy WUs.

You doing non-beta units? I noticed about a month ago that non-beta units tanked in ppd. My 460 went from 14-15k per day to about 9k not running beta. It looks like the newer non-beta units are worth less than the old ones. I switched it over to beta when I had to replace my 670 (which is in transit to my house, squee!) and ppd went up to 14k again.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=639038&t=212997&b=celestia1]
I have the beta enabled, but remember that it doesn't mean you get beta units exclusively. They only come when they are available. Otherwise, you get normal units.
My bigadv server has been down for 4 days... It was killing the internet when uploading so my cousin unplugged the network wire and forgot to plug it back in until I spammed him text messages last night. Facehoof

I attempted to setup QoS(ToS?) in the router and set the server to low priority. If that doesn't work, anybody have any other suggestions?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=616938&t=212997&b=rarity1]
(2013-10-10, 01:46:32 PM)shadowbolt82 Wrote: It was killing the internet when uploading so my cousin unplugged the network wire and forgot to plug it back in until I spammed him text messages last night. Facehoof

I attempted to setup QoS(ToS?) in the router and set the server to low priority. If that doesn't work, anybody have any other suggestions?

I have the same issue, any WU upload for me seems to be really good at using up all my bandwidth (making all my open connections reset), but I just assumed that was because of my maximum upload speed being 800kbps.

On the subject of bigadv servers being down, I have had to take mine down for good due to power consumption. It was a little short-lived, but fun.
I don't think it was just the server, but our previous bill was $512 (quarterly billed). The current bill is $900. Rainbowhuh

Thankfully a fellow (unannounced) team member will be buying it off of me! Twilightsmile
[Image: sigimage.php?u=627814&t=212997&b=rainbowdash2] [Image: sigimage.php?w=2663558&t=81403693&b=luna1]
Quote:Thankfully a fellow (unannounced) team member will be buying it off of me!

Unknown or unannounced?
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
For people using Chrome browsers: Adding a completely new way to fold, directly in the browser.

It's still in beta, but it looks interesting. Someone go try it out and tell us what it's like.
Here's a little something recently put up on F@H. You guys might be interested. I've bolded some of the most important parts:

A discussion of recent FAH work on cancer: A brief overview

Quote:Cancer affects the general population in an extensive and intensive way. It accounts for 1 out of 4 deaths in the US. The global annual cancer cases are expected to rise to 22 million within the next two decades. Existing drugs used in chemotherapy on the market are not only ineffective 97% of the time, but also cause severe damage to the body as a whole due to the drugs’ high toxicity. We are all too familiar with the frightening adverse effects of chemotherapy such as hair-loss, holes in intestine, swelling of the body, feeling sick and tired, abnormal bleeding, to name a few. Many cancer patients choose death over going through the agony of chemotherapy by refusing the treatments.

The reason behind the severe toxicity of anti-cancer drugs lies in their low selectivity. Aiming at killing cancer cells, the drugs also massively destroy normal cells and impede the growth of new healthy cells. Thus come the tragic sufferings very often seen in the oncology wards. The current cancer drugs attempt to cure the patients while kill them at the same time. The solution, then, lies in finding a new way of targeting cancer cells with minimal harm to normal cells.

An ideal target for cancer treatments should be commonly found in a wide range of cancer cells and exists in far less amount in normal cells. Researchers found such a target, which is a protein called the “c-src.” Among half of the most common and most lethal human cancers, high c-src activity has been detected and is found to be an essential element that causes cancer. Therefore, inhibiting c-src activity can contribute to a key breakthrough in cancer treatment, and will in turn benefit a potentially large world population that may be devastated by c-src dysfunction.

An ideal drug in this case should only inhibit c-src activity without interfering with normal cellular functions carried out by other proteins, including the ones that highly resemble c-src. As the famous quote from Art of War goes, “if you know both your enemy and yourself, you need not fear the results of a hundred battles. If you only know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat,” it is apparent that having a thorough understanding of c-src is key to designing the ideal drug, so that we can find out its potential “weak spots” and get a grip on them. It is an easy realization in theory but hard implementation in practice due to the immense computing power required to scrutinize the dynamic behavior and structure of c-src. All we had before were a few static snapshots of it. A detailed dynamic picture of c-src had not been available until Folding@Home came into the picture.

In order to do so, Folding@Home harness the unused computing power in personal electronic devices from volunteers worldwide. The combined computing power makes Folding@Home computing network the fastest super computer in the world. As a result of that collective effort, we simulated how each atom of c-src and surrounding water molecules moves, and we discovered a major “weak spot” of c-src that can be exploited to suppress c-src’s cancer-causing activities.

This weak spot exists exclusively in an intermediate stage in c-src’s transformation between inactive and active states. These details on c-src structural changes in various states are difficult to study; yet they turn out to be very important to developing a drug with the desired characteristics. (Refer to Part II for details.) The newly discovered “weak spot” is a unique structure on c-src that binds to certain drugs. It makes an ideal drug possible by allowing certain drugs to only influence c-src but nothing else, which minimizes damage to normal cells.

This study is a fantastic starting point and template for future studies to build onto. We can add more complex interactions to future simulations. Also, multiple structures on c-src can be used together for a single drug to exert high potency. In addition, the same techniques can be used to study other cancer-related proteins at atomic level, and in turn their subtle structural differences can be used for future drug design with high specificity and selectivity.

The Folding@Home mission is a beautiful example of the world uniting to combat a common enemy of humanity. The collective power of our research group and our donors push the frontiers of biotechnology to new limits and redefine the impossible.
Is the 'New Lunar Republic' subteam not available to join intentionally?
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Yep. If I remember correctly, tiwake made it for all the users who run bigadv-capable rigs.
(2014-05-14, 07:08:07 PM)hiigaran Wrote: Yep. If I remember correctly, tiwake made it for all the users who run bigadv-capable rigs.

Ah, got it.
Thanks!
[Image: sigimage.php?w=2943722&p=81403693&u=6423...&b=pinkie1]
[Image: sigimage.php?e=ruthalas&b=pinkie1]
Is anyone just....not getting any WUs? My client has been inactive for about an hour and a half after finishing my most recent work unit.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=602802&c1=FFFFFF&c2=00002...&c5=0C8ED0]
Nevermind, seems like Windows Firewall was blocking it...

..after it re-enabled itself? Weird.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=602802&c1=FFFFFF&c2=00002...&c5=0C8ED0]

Then again, eww, firewalls.

SOON