There are over 100 types of cancers. Many can spread rapidly to any part of the body via the circulatory or lymphatic systems.

F@H General Discussion
Yay!

Be sure to grab a signature banner from here, once you have returned your first work unit (you only appear on the stats after returning one).
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=hiigaran&FAHTeam=21...hangeling1]
Our PPD has dipped below 3,000,000 D:

Gonna try to get Sakura_Kinomoto running again, a combination of the competition ending, and him flooding his bedroom meant that he's stopped folding recently. Good 40k or so there we can use to jolt back up.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=614439&c1=976aaf&c2=bab4a...&c5=976aaf]
How...How do you flood a bedroom?
Pet turtle broke its tank.

(do NOT make the joke)
Fuck the joke. HOW does a turtle break a tank?
Fucked if I know. Turtles are pretty solid, though. Wouldn't take too much force.
I don't think turtles are known for their force...

Now, a mantis shrimp...
So, I have a question. My i7-2600 cores have miraculously unparked themselves, and I now have an 8-core machine according to resource monitor. Would FAH be able to make use of these?
Edit: Also, team is coming up on a billion points!
[Image: sigimage.php?FAHUser=Talifan9&FAHTeam=21...luttershy1]

(2013-09-13, 08:49:38 AM)Talifan9 Wrote: My i7-2600 cores have miraculously unparked themselves, and I now have an 8-core machine according to resource monitor. Would FAH be able to make use of these?

Yes. You can use all of them for folding. Boinc will use all threads/cores by default, although you can limit it if you want.

(In reality you have 4 cores with two threads each, for a total of eight threads, but it looks and acts like 8 cores.)
(2013-09-13, 08:49:38 AM)Talifan9 Wrote: My i7-2600 cores have miraculously unparked themselves, and I now have an 8-core machine according to resource monitor. Would FAH be able to make use of these?

Yes. You can use all of them for folding. Boinc will use all threads/cores by default, although you can limit it if you want.

(In reality you have 4 cores with two threads each, for a total of eight threads, but it looks and acts like 8 cores.)
I was under the impression since it was an i7 it already used 8 threads....what good is including a feature if it is off by default?
Edit: I don't know, everything I read online says they are actual cores.
Double edit: I'll just let the OS do its thing.

(2013-09-13, 09:00:38 AM)davidfg4 Wrote:

I was under the impression since it was an i7 it already used 8 threads....what good is including a feature if it is off by default?
Edit: I don't know, everything I read online says they are actual cores.
Double edit: I'll just let the OS do its thing.

I7's are quad core CPU's with hyper threading, or 6 core CPU's if you count the high end models from socket 2011... Hyperthreading basically gives each core 2 threads making it a 8 thread cpu.
[Image: sigimage.php?u=623788&t=212997&b=rarity1]
Right. Knew that, just do not understand why people call it unparking cores if they are only threads. But as I understand it they get unparked by the OS anyway (supposed to be temporary I guess?). Not sure why mine are if they are mostly idle.

It's just people using the wrong terminology.

The perfect hunting grounds for Selly and his unhealthy semantics obsession...
It's not incorrect terminology. A quad-core CPU with hyperthreading, like the i7-2600, has 8 logical cores. For 99.99% of processes, logical cores are the things that matter, so they often get referred to as just "cores", as they're much more frequently referred to. As such, it is correct to say that the i7-2600 has 8 cores, as it has 8 logical cores. It is also correct to say to say it has 4 cores, as it does.

For F@H and other DC purposes, it has 8. You'll run smp:8, BOINC will run 8 different processes, and so on.

SOON